Is this a Keyhole Cichlid?

MissHoney

Hey!

I got this "Keyhole Cichlid" from my LFS. It has been perfectly happy, very peaceful with all my community fish, so I guess acting like I wanted the Keyhole to act in my 45G. I have had no problems with it. Just the more I look at it, the more I don't think its a Keyhole Cichlid unless this is what they look like as juveniles. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out in identifying what cichlid this is. I just want peace of mind that it will stay peaceful, and not outgrow the tank, because that's originally why I wanted the Keyhole. It likes to morph its patterns, sometimes it will have a horizontal stripe like the photo. Sometimes it will just be the dot on the side and tail. Other times it will have vertical dark brown stripes, where you can't see the dots at all (I call it his extra camouflage mode).

Hope you guys can help! I can take more pics if needed. It has been a joy in my tank!

Keyhole.jpg

AquaticQueen

It sort of resembles one, but I know next to nothing about cichlids. A201? Thoughts?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Could be a Cichlasoma dimerus. Same Genus most likely.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I don't know how and why it jumped in mind, but could it be a Laetacara araguaiae ?

Upvote 0

MacZ

I don't know how and why it jumped in mind, but could it be a Laetacara araguaiae ?

Close, but Laetacara don't have yellow pectorals.

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Could be a Cichlasoma dimerus. Same Genus most likely.

I was thinking this too! There isn't a lot of info on temperament and size for them online though. So I guess the consensus is my suspicion is right, it isn't a keyhole?

Upvote 0

faydout

A type of Laetacara would have been my guess, but it is definitely not a Keyhole.

Upvote 0

TClare

Im pretty sure its a Cichlasoma species. The same happened to me recently. I ordered keyhole cichlids and got ones similar to yours which Chromedome52 on this forum helped me to identify as C. amazonarum. Later I‘ll post a photo of mine, and you can find my previous thread.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Think you need.to google.on this one then hahahahaha.

Upvote 0

TClare

But I think mine looks deeper bodied?

Upvote 0

faydout

Just grabbed a quick snap of one of my Keyholes (judging by the one in the back, they aren't fans of my flash).

IMG_0797.jpg

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Just grabbed a quick snap of one of my Keyholes (judging by the one in the back, they aren't fans of my flash).

IMG_0797.jpg

Ugh, see this is what I originally wanted! I find them so cute. I should have paid more attention at my LFS, I saw the label "Keyhole" and got excited they finally had them in stock.

Upvote 0

TClare

Yes, and I ordered mine without seeing them, the picture on the website was a keyhole cichlid and the seller tried to convince me that they were juveniles and would change, but I knew as soon as I saw them I knew they were not. Anyway I like mine very much, they have not caused any trouble in my tank which has Apistogrammas, neon tetras, pencilfish and otos , they have great personalities and always come to the front of the glasswhen anyone approaches. From day 1 they were always much more confident than keyhole cichlids would be even though they were chased a lot by a male agassizii, but they have grown very fast and are now bigger than him, he doesn’t bother them much now. I actually ordered 5 keyholes, but then was told only 4 were available. Sadly the fourth was nearly dead on arrival, but the others have been fine and eat a lot, they are always hungry. One was always considerably bigger than the other two and he does turn black and chase othe others aggressively while feeding, but in general they are very peaceful, I really like them but I fear they may become a threat to the neons when they grow some more...

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Yes, and I ordered mine without seeing them, the picture on the website was a keyhole cichlid and the seller tried to convince me that they were juveniles and would change, but I knew as soon as I saw them I knew they were not. Anyway I like mine very much, they have not caused any trouble in my tank which has Apistogrammas, neon tetras, pencilfish and otos , they have great personalities and always come to the front of the glasswhen anyone approaches. From day 1 they were always much more confident than keyhole cichlids would be even though they were chased a lot by a male agassizii, but they have grown very fast and are now bigger than him, he doesn’t bother them much now. I actually ordered 5 keyholes, but then was told only 4 were available. Sadly the fourth was nearly dead on arrival, but the others have been fine and eat a lot, they are always hungry. One was always considerably bigger than the other two and he does turn black and chase othe others aggressively while feeding, but in general they are very peaceful, I really like them but I fear they may become a threat to the neons when they grow some more...

That is my current worry because I have a nice school of black neons I prefer not to dwindle. I guess only time can tell now! Thank you so much for your insight.

If it gets too aggressive, I have a terror of an angelfish that has to be alone in another tank that I am sure can put up with it. (I keep her because she is so god **** beautiful, my literal pride and joy, but attacks everything)

121103905_367734947754909_7883343686356530838_n.jpg

Upvote 0

TClare

This is one of my Cichlasomas now. Black neons are a little bigger than regular neons I believe, maybe they will be OK especially as they are growing up together, I have also got plans to move mine if and when necessary. That's a beautiful angel!
:
IMG_4830.JPG

Upvote 0

TClare

Forgot to say the biggest is about 3" now, and quite stocky.

Upvote 0

MissHoney

This is one of my Cichlasomas now. Black neons are a little bigger than regular neons I believe, maybe they will be OK especially as they are growing up together, I have also got plans to move mine if and when necessary. That's a beautiful angel!
:
IMG_4830.JPG

Amazing! Still a great looking fish! That gives me peace of mind it wasn't a total loss, thank you for this.

Upvote 0

TClare

Oh dear one of my neons is missing, they all looked fine a couple of days ago, it’s probably time to move them.....

Upvote 0

coleh11

IMG_0797.jpg
he looks absolutely mortified lol

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Oh dear one of my neons is missing, they all looked fine a couple of days ago, it’s probably time to move them.....

Oh no! Good luck! My black neons haven't gone missing yet *finger crossed*

Upvote 0

TClare

Well, I can’t be sure that “Hector” (The biggest Cichlid named by my daughter) is guilty but he is certainly a prime suspect! Ever tried catching 9 neons in a thickly planted 4ft tank?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Well, I can’t be sure that “Hector” (The biggest Cichlid named by my daughter) is guilty but he is certainly a prime suspect! Ever tried catching 9 neons in a thickly planted 4ft tank?
Yikes. And I thought it was hard catching seven tiger barbs in a 2ft tank...

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Hahaha yes! It's a game that can only be played by making the water level very low, and scaring them into the net. I had to do it with ember tetras, it was a headache.

Upvote 0

faydout

he looks absolutely mortified lol

These Keyholes of mine are not the most brave fish I've ever owned. I usually try to give them a few feet from the glass if I'm just sitting and watching. They're by far the biggest fish in the tank too (and have been since they were the same size as the tetras in with them).

ETA: Also, that's one of the girls. I can tell them all apart by that band that goes over the top of their head.

Upvote 0

TClare

Well as a quick update on my Cichlasomas, they have started to cause a bit more trouble lately. As well as the neons I had to remove the pencilfish as they also started to disappear, they are all in a smaller tank now. I had to remove the floating plants to catch the neons, then left them out for some time as I thought I would soon have to catch the pencils. This (I think) caused an outbreak of algae....Then two of the cichlids formed a pair and they have been chasing the other one for the last few days, digging and uprooting a few plants - this morning they spawned. I will have to rehome the third one I think as the only other tank I have at the moment has the smaller fish in it and the poor thing is getting chased as soon as it comes out of hiding. That will leave just two Apistogramma and 3 otos in the tank with the pair. This is not exactly what I had planned, it was meant to be a peaceful planted tank with small fish... We are building another tank but it won't be ready for quite some time. Not a great photo due to algae and reflections on the glass, and its a screenshot from a video, but here they are...

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 5.56.01 PM.png

Upvote 0

MissHoney

Well as a quick update on my Cichlasomas, they have started to cause a bit more trouble lately. As well as the neons I had to remove the pencilfish as they also started to disappear, they are all in a smaller tank now. I had to remove the floating plants to catch the neons, then left them out for some time as I thought I would soon have to catch the pencils. This (I think) caused an outbreak of algae....Then two of the cichlids formed a pair and they have been chasing the other one for the last few days, digging and uprooting a few plants - this morning they spawned. I will have to rehome the third one I think as the only other tank I have at the moment has the smaller fish in it and the poor thing is getting chased as soon as it comes out of hiding. That will leave just two Apistogramma and 3 otos in the tank with the pair. This is not exactly what I had planned, it was meant to be a peaceful planted tank with small fish... We are building another tank but it won't be ready for quite some time. Not a great photo due to algae and reflections on the glass, and its a screenshot from a video, but here they are...

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 5.56.01 PM.png

Mine is starting to cause trouble as well! He hasn't touched any of my black neons yet but slowly becoming the tank boss, he has started to push my honey gouramis just this week, no damage at all but worried it may get worse since mine is still very young. They are definitely not plant safe because mine is eating my amazon sword and has ripped up the lily pads I have. Definitely more an Acara personality, which is what I didn't want either!
My plan is to take him back to my LFS, before he gets even comfier (I feel the destruction on the horizon). I gave him a chance, but it is definitely no keyhole which was the original plan.

Upvote 0

adumsoza

Hey!

I got this "Keyhole Cichlid" from my LFS. It has been perfectly happy, very peaceful with all my community fish, so I guess acting like I wanted the Keyhole to act in my 45G. I have had no problems with it. Just the more I look at it, the more I don't think its a Keyhole Cichlid unless this is what they look like as juveniles. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out in identifying what cichlid this is. I just want peace of mind that it will stay peaceful, and not outgrow the tank, because that's originally why I wanted the Keyhole. It likes to morph its patterns, sometimes it will have a horizontal stripe like the photo. Sometimes it will just be the dot on the side and tail. Other times it will have vertical dark brown stripes, where you can't see the dots at all (I call it his extra camouflage mode).

Hope you guys can help! I can take more pics if needed. It has been a joy in my tank!

Keyhole.jpg

It looks like a young laetacara curviceps, or dwarf flag cichlid. They get around 4 inches long and are peacful community fish

Upvote 0

chromedome52

It looks like a young laetacara curviceps, or dwarf flag cichlid. They get around 4 inches long and are peacful community fish
If you read the whole thread, you will realize that it is not a Laetacara but a Cichlasoma. They have similar body shapes when young.

This thread is more than a year and a half old, as well.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
Ravynn
Replies