Is this a Javan myna?

Wolf65

My wife surprised me with a bird.....I didn't like to make surprise purchases like that and she even doesn't know what bird it is. What I know is that the previous owner cut his tongue and he makes no sounds, this is very cruel. The bird is 1 year old, so we got told. Here is a picture of him, it would be great if someone could identify the species and give some basic tips.

thanks in advance

20160226_185102.jpg

TexasDomer

I'm not familiar with that species, but there are some basic things you can do that would further improve the life of this poor bird (in addition to you caring for him instead of his previous owner!).

Get him a nice, big, rectangular cage. Remove the dowel-like perches and add in natural wood perches that provide non-uniform footing (dowel-like perches have a uniform surface and can give birds pressure sores). Add in toys. Switch him over to a good, quality pellet food with fresh fruit and veggies and insects.

aliray

I had just posted some of TD suggestion and hit the wrong button and it disappeared. She is right .I would suggest a flight cage as big as you can , they are flyers not climbers. I had a pair of indian mynhas over 40 years ago. Texas is also spot with the diet and the need for more natural wood perches of different sizes to exercise their feet. I would also supply some string type toys with beads on them and strings to pull on. They are very intelligent birds. Because of their diet they tend to be messy poopers like a wild bird. SPLAT. If you could build an outside aviary eventually that he could have some flight time that would be an added bonus. Great birds. Also a shallow bowl of water for him to take a bath in a couple of times a week. Alison

Wolf65

Thank you two so much. I feel pity for this fellow....
Currently he is in a mid size round cage with regular round wood support. Tomorrow I go to a place for my fish tanks but they have also birds, cages, supplies and toys.

I might be able to build an outside cage so he can fly.

Apparently they cut part of his tongue so he will start to speak.....that sounds weird and evil to me. Is there a truth in it?

aliray

That is a very old out dated procedure that I have heard of using on crows to allow them to speak. Mynhas can speak anyway. I personally think it is inhumane, however what is done is done. You can give him a really good life so don't dwell on it. Keep in mind that I am 69 . A lot of things used to be done to animals that in todays world would and should horrify people but was done at the time until people were better educated and started realizing that animals have feelings and are not inanimate objects. Alison

TexasDomer

That's so terrible. I don't know how cutting the tongue off would help, but it's barbaric.

aliray

Sorry they don't cut it off, they split it down the middle if I remember correctly. I don't know what the reasoning was. Alison

TexasDomer

Sorry they don't cut it off, they split it down the middle if I remember correctly. I don't know what the reasoning was. Alison
Still terrible

Wolf65

Well, I made a decision. The bird was obviously a wild catch and they just made some money. He was never happy in the cage even when I build a real big cage outdoor.

So I left a small door open, the bird looked at the opening and at me two times, than he jumped to the opening and looked again to me. Finally he just flew away....I feel happy for him.

The climate here is for him and I'm sure he finds some companion. I leave the door open over night just in case he wants to come back (maybe he finds no food, lol, I doubt that)

I feel good about it now and i'm sure the bird is happier

TexasDomer

I really disagree with your decision to do that. If he's not native to the area, you either sentenced him to death and/or his presence might cause a disturbance to the native fauna. If he is from there, you still might have sentenced him to death. He has been used to being fed and protected for who knows how long.

I would have taken him to a wildlife facility for rehab or a zoo for a more natural environment if he couldn't be rehabbed for release.

Wolf65

I agree with you from the view of a person living in the western world. Here farmers are catching parrots, lovebirds, monkeys and even endangered eagles and sell them for near to nothing to street vendors. They double and triple the price and sell them to the next unknowing person. If they can't sell within a month the animal dies. I could see my bird how it looked to the trees when I had built the cage outside. He was longing to it. Once free, he flew like a king. A cage raced bird has not the power to make straight away a long flight.

This birds are living in the Philippines and I released him to his home.

Giving it to a wildlife facility in the wild is pretty difficult. I may even get a penalty that my wife bought the bird in the first place. This is not America nor Europe, here is Asia and that is slightly different. Sometimes to the better, many times to the worse. Sorry, but that's the truth.

An animal here has no worth, it's a toy and/or a pet. Nobody cares here if you handle it correctly and this makes me angry. So I feel good to give the freedom back to this little fellow and I don't think twice about the money lost

TexasDomer

I hope he's able to survive in the wild after living in captivity.

Wolf65

Me too, but I'm confident he will because by the looks he was maybe captured 4-8 weeks ago and got in this time his tongue cut to sell him as a talking bird.

I live in the outskirts of the city and in an hours flight he is in the province. I'm sure he is fine.

Wolf65

TexasDomer
I know you are a caring person for all kind of life.....so am I. Do you know how many times I'm fed up with the "here in the Philippines we do it like that"....it is frustrating.

My wife, I love her to death, has no respect for our animals, she thinks she has but the actions speak else wise. If a dog is heavily sweating they make fun out of it and don't even realize it. If a fish dies, throw him down the bowl and buy another one....they don't care, not because they are bad, because they never got lessons about value of life, any life.

Here the mentality is to think for your next meal, not for the one next to you, and not for what comes next week.

It starts to change very slowly and it takes two or three generation to get it settled. Here everything is available and it seems it lasts forever....we know it doesn't

If I try to buy medicine for fish here I have to go to dozens of shops and have to be lucky to find one. If a fish is sick, flush him down and buy another one. They are cheap here......it's terrible

TexasDomer

I'm not saying they're ideal conditions, but I do worry about birds in captivity suddenly released into the wild, regardless of where in the world you're located. That can be very problematic for the bird. Maybe with his tongue issues he can't feed normally on wild food anymore.

aliray

I think you did what you thought was right . Hopefully he will be fine. I really appreciate your thoughts on how animals are kept and treated. We tend to forget that people all over the world think differently. I am sure living in that climate he will have no difficulty in finding a steady food supply, and one day maybe a mate. Alison

Wolf65

Thanks Aliray, those are local birds here since around 15 years. Created by released or escaped captives that's why I'm sure he will make it (don't even know if it was a he)

aliray

Where I live in Florida they would be called an invasive species or non native species. Florida is loaded with invasive species of animal, plants, reptiles,fish, birds ect. My yard has tons of Cuban brown anoles lizards, and Cuban tree frogs, brazillian pepper trees grow all over the place in surrounding areas. I keep finding some that the birds plant in my yard but we cut them down and dig them out. Alison

Similar Aquarium Threads

• OldFort Exotics
  • Bird
Replies
Views
FishL:))
Replies
Views
Gordinian
  • Animalover
  • Bird
Replies