Is this a Honey or sunset?

Jrgnzls10

Hi guys, I know this is the honey g forum but im not too sure on what new fish I got.

The first pic is my male sunset thick lipped gourami, I've always believed he was one. Can anyone confirm this please?

The second pic is the one i picked up just tonight. Is it even a thick lipped? And is it a girl? Sorry for the terrible pic its in a qt without a light.

Thanks!

Freshfishguy

100% the first fish is a thick-lipped gourami (or trichogaster labiosa) and the second one is a flame dwarf gourami (or trichogaster lalius). It's hard to tell the gender of the second exactly from the pic, but it's probably a male. Most dwarf gouramis sold are males.

Jrgnzls10

100% the first fish is a thick-lipped gourami (or trichogaster labiosa) and the second one is a flame dwarf gourami (or trichogaster lalius). It's hard to tell the gender of the second exactly from the pic, but it's probably a male. Most dwarf gouramis sold are males.
That really sucks. I wanted another thick lipped as a companion for my first one.

DoubleDutch

Agree. Both are males. No doubt about the second one.

Jrgnzls10

Agree. Both are males. No doubt about the second one.
Thanks! How would i know if its a female then? I thought it depended with the fins being rounded or not.

DoubleDutch

Thanks! How would i know if its a female then? I thought it depended with the fins being rounded or not.
The females aren't red / colored but plain silverish

MommyGourami

Beautiful thicklipped gourami! I hope you find same-species companions for him. Females for thicklips are pretty easy to spot. They have a curvier front-heavy body shape (bigger belly area) and rounded dorsal/analfins. They are also a bit more of a citrusy orange shade, and boys get darker and more intense.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Popcornlover15
Replies
Views
Scarlet68
Replies
Views
babykitten
Replies
Views