Is this a guppy/endler hybrid?

1. stargazerwolf Member Member

I recently bought a male guppy to replace one that died in my daughter's little tank. I also grabbed a female (they only had two and this one was more colorful on the tail...) I have these two together for now but will put the male with the other two males in my daughters tank. As I watched him swim around I started thinking he had a lot of endler characteristics. They often have endlers (assuming hybrids) and also of course guppies. I do see some hybrids from time to time. I didn't intend on getting a hybrid but this guy sure is pretty whether he is or not. Does he look like one? I see the markings on the sides and he is very small, I cannot be certain if that is because he is young or if he is a hybrid. I'm just curious! :) guppies.jpg

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

pet quality cobra guppy--a real cutie even though he's doesn't look like an Endler to me ;)

3. stargazerwolf Member Member

Those markings on his side don't mean anything? What do you mean "pet quality"? You don't think he should be bred?

guppy2.jpg

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Various kinds of guppies have spots on their site, not just Endler's. "Pet Quality" just means that he won't win any shows. Whether not you breed him is up to you. I don't actually breed for colors. I just try to stop mine from over reproducing for their own good, but they won't listen to me :p

5. stargazerwolf Member Member

His face is different shaped than the other guppies too, but either way, doesn't matter to me ;) Yeah I don't think there are any fish shows around here anyway lol. I think he is beautiful, I did have him with the new female (bought same day, same store) for a few days, don't know if they bred, he's also still young as he is still smaller than the other males, but is now with them. The female is full grown I assume, and pretty plain as you could see, but has the cobra pattern on the tail. I'm hoping if they did breed they will have beautiful babies. I plan to sell them to anyone interested and if their babies eventually become feeders (maybe the less pretty ones) I'm ok with that. That's why I only got one female and only had her with one male, now she is with the betta (yep he's fine with it). I'm moving the betta soon though, in case she does eventually have babies.

I really did want to get some endlers from you but don't have room or time for them lol. I'm mostly focusing on my shrimp now :)

6. emeraldking Member Member

I just took a look at this male and I just can't see any related features of an endler. I've got several endler strains and can't see any resemblence to anyone of them. But he does look nice. Colorful in his tail for sure...
    And you know what? The most important thing is that you like that fish. It's so personal of what a person thinks is beautiful...

7. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

He's a cutie pie :)
    I don't see any endler markings but he could have some endler in him. It depends I guess.
    He is adorable. Hopefully they have fry because I would be interested in them & what they look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum