Is This A Good Substrate?

Civi05

I was wondering if this substrate is any good and if I need to add anything else to it to support plants. New to using substrates.

TexasDomer

Looks like just plain gravel (no fertilizers).

Almost any substrate can grow plants, just add root tabs if the substrate isn't naturally fertilized.

I would go with sand over gravel - many fish prefer it. You can get cheap sand at hardware or pool stores (a coal slag blasting sand like Black Diamond, or pool filter sand).

Paradise fish

I don't recommend play sand as it alters the pH.

What kind of plants are you thinking of?

TexasDomer

Paradise fish

TexasDomer said:
Not all sand affects pH.
I just meant play sand as it contains limestone and other rocks containing calcium carbonate. And I don't think it's really a bad thing, as it's the best substrate to buffer your pH high when keeping certain cichlids.

TexasDomer

Just clarifying for OP

Civi05

My tank has both sand and this substrate. I have a Java Fern and I can't remember the name of the other but no matter how hard I try they keep coming up.

TexasDomer said:
Looks like just plain gravel (no fertilizers).

Almost any substrate can grow plants, just add root tabs if the substrate isn't naturally fertilized.

I would go with sand over gravel - many fish prefer it. You can get cheap sand at hardware or pool stores (a coal slag blasting sand like Black Diamond, or pool filter sand).
Are you supposed to add soil with substrate also?

TexasDomer

Java fern isn't meant to be planted (very hard to plant while keeping their rhizomes above the substrate), so I would tie it to decor instead.

Can you take a pic of the other plant?

No, you don't have to add soil. You can use root tabs to add nutrients.

Civi05

This is a closer look at my tank and the plants I have in it.

TexasDomer

Anacharis, which also seems to do better floating than planted much of the time.

Civi05

TexasDomer said:
Anacharis, which also seems to do better floating than planted much of the time.
Oh ok I noticed that also... Thank you so much for your help!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom