Is This A Good Stock?

achey87

Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently doing a fishless cycle of my new tank so obviously not got any fish as of yet and am just trying to get prepared. This is my first Tropical Aquarium set up since I was a child (20ish years ago) and my parents did all the hard work. I know the basics... Fishless cycle, Check everything is a ok before considering putting fish in the tank, Low stocking to start off with, Water changes etc. Now I'm trying to figure out what the best stock will be... I will be adding over a long period of time but want to get an idea of my final stock. I currently have a 57ltr (although I suspect it is more 50ltrs when filled and space is left at the top) rectangular tank. My local fish place says it's a really good starter tank and I will be upgrading to a larger tank after my house move around the new year.

I have the obvious... Heater, Filter, a few small live plants, 2x artificial plants, Bubble Stones, Sand with gravel overlayed, and rocks/ornamants. It's not as filled as it sounds, Looks lovely but still plenty of swimming space.

I was thinking of stocking with :-
8 Neon Tetras,
5 Lampeye Killifish,
3 Guppies,
3 Panda Corys and
1 Otto.
1 Bumblebee Horn Snail (my son is determined there will be a snail haha)

Does this sound like too much. I understand that some will eventually outgrow a 50ltr tank but I will be getting a 140ltr in the new year. Sooner if needs be.

Any advice or recommendations are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks everyone

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your tank dimensions? Tank footprint is more important.

Your Panda Corys and Oto need some more numbers, about 6 or so for each species otherwise they can be very shy and quick to stress. So I'd only choose one of the either Oto or Panda at this stage. Otos are quite sensitive and require well established tanks, so I'd hold off on the otos for a while.

achey87

Reaction score
My tank is 30cmx60cmx36cm. I believe it has a surface area of 1800 Cm². Sorry it was supposed to say 6 Panda Corys... Not sure why I typed 3. I'll give the Otto a miss then. Thank you.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
achey87 said:
My tank is 30cmx60cmx36cm. I believe it has a surface area of 1800 Cm². Sorry it was supposed to say 6 Panda Corys... Not sure why I typed 3. I'll give the Otto a miss then. Thank you.
Minus the Oto, that tank should be fine for your proposed stock . The 140L will obviously be better, but they'll be fine in your current tank until you can upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
achey87 said:
Hi all. I am currently doing a fishless cycle of my new tank so obviously not got any fish as of yet and am just trying to get prepared. This is my first Tropical Aquarium set up since I was a child (20ish years ago) and my parents did all the hard work. I know the basics... Fishless cycle, Check everything is a ok before considering putting fish in the tank, Low stocking to start off with, Water changes etc. Now I'm trying to figure out what the best stock will be... I will be adding over a long period of time but want to get an idea of my final stock. I currently have a 57ltr (although I suspect it is more 50ltrs when filled and space is left at the top) rectangular tank. My local fish place says it's a really good starter tank and I will be upgrading to a larger tank after my house move around the new year.

I have the obvious... Heater, Filter, a few small live plants, 2x artificial plants, Bubble Stones, Sand with gravel overlayed, and rocks/ornamants. It's not as filled as it sounds, Looks lovely but still plenty of swimming space.

I was thinking of stocking with :-
8 Neon Tetras,
5 Lampeye Killifish,
3 Guppies,
3 Panda Corys and
1 Otto.
1 Bumblebee Horn Snail (my son is determined there will be a snail haha)

Does this sound like too much. I understand that some will eventually outgrow a 50ltr tank but I will be getting a 140ltr in the new year. Sooner if needs be.

Any advice or recommendations are gratefully appreciated.

Thanks everyone
I've never heard of Bumblebee horn snails, and honestly I never gave much attention to snail section in shops. But tell your son that thanks to his determination I will be getting one of these guys next time I go to shop! I have two nerites already, but this one just looks like a must-have Good choice!

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katarina said:
I've never heard of Bumblebee horn snails, and honestly I never gave much attention to snail section in shops. But tell your son that thanks to his determination I will be getting one of these guys next time I go to shop! I have two nerites already, but this one just looks like a must-have Good choice!
Oh dear, the aquarium hobby has bitten you again

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd caution you against putting fish that get bigger into a smaller tank, and moving them when they get bigger. A lot of times a too small, or over crowded tank can actually stunt their growth, which leads to all kinds of health issues and shortened lifespan. But from looking at your proposed stock, none of those fish get terribly large, so you should be ok.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DaleM said:
Oh dear, the aquarium hobby has bitten you again
But come on! It looks awesome. I never seen the snail before. Plus Im staring second tank for angry grumpy male gourami and I need snail buddy for him

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom