Is This A Good Price On 5.5 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by brousecasey12, Jul 11, 2017.

1. brousecasey12

brousecasey12Well Known MemberMember

So petsmart is having this sale where they do 25% off the sale price and I found this 5.5 gallon kit for $22! Is this a good price??? I want this for my nightstand and also something easy to bring to college with me next year! I need thoughts! It's a topfin brand as well!

Edit: actually $21 and I pick it up at the store!

2. Kenny777

Kenny777Well Known MemberMember

What do you need thoughts of? Fish or plants?

3. filtered_light

filtered_lightValued MemberMember

Sounds pretty cheap, but speaking as someone who recently started a 5 gallon and 3 gallon, and is now upgrading, the tank is often the smallest cost for a small tank. Just a water testing kit will cost $20-40. So it might be worth considering at least a 10 gallon, if you want fish it will give you more options. 5g would be good for a betta or as a shrimp-only tank.

4. PLECO657

PLECO657Valued MemberMember

If it's a kit I would go for it and either get a really pretty betta or have a nice shrimp tank

5. Kenny777

Here's most of the options for a 5.5gallon
    1 dwarf puffer
    Or
    1 Betta
    Or
    7 Shrimp
    1 snail

6. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I have two of these. The filter stopped working relatively soon on one of the tanks. I replaced it with an Aqueon quiet flow 10. Petsmart had them online, pick up in store for $12. I bought 2 expecting the second to stop working soon, but it is still going. All in all, I really do like this tank. (They both house bettas)

7. OP
    OP
    brousecasey12

brousecasey12Well Known MemberMember

I'm looking at really trying to scape it well with a beautiful betta and maybe a few shrimp and a snail ! With my 55, it's so wild and I like the way it is, but I want a new mini project! Also, the fact that it's cheap and I'm going to college soon and want an aquarium there that will fit all helps with my decision!
    I saw your options and was thinking the same!

8. Kenny777

Not sure if you can fit a betta, shrimp and a snail in a 5.5gallon maybe just a betta and 1 snail but I don't think nothing else would fit in their. :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice