Is This A Good Pace For Adding Guppies To My Tank? Is My Tank Ready For Them?

1. guppiesandpuppies

guppiesandpuppies Valued Member Member

Hello, all! I have a 20-gallon tank and its filter is finally (read finally, finally, FINALLY) cycled! I think the nitrate is at about 30 ppm (I was having trouble reading the test result, but I'm 100% sure it was orange and not red, like the 40 ppm result) and the ammonia and nitrite are both at 0. I plan to put 6 guppies in the tank. Not more because I don't want to have an amount close to the filter's full capacity, in case a fish dies and causes an ammonia spike because no one sees the dead fish right away and because I don't want to do more water changing lol. But can I add more without getting close to the filter's full capacity? Is adding two guppies, testing every day for 3 days to see if the parameters stay good, then adding two more, then repeating that process and then testing for 3 days after adding the last two a good pace? Is nitrate too high to be safe for them while they're getting used to the new tank and new water? I plan on trying to lower it as soon as I can regardless of when we put fish in there. If it's too high, how big of a water change should I do before putting fish in?

2. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Valued Member Member

Are you dedicating this tank only to these six guppies? And also, what filter do you have? Your tank filter should be able to take on more waste produced by these fish, meaning that you could have more. I would say continue to do this method of adding fish, maybe even leave a four day gap as it is best to introduce new fish into an aquarium after a week.

3. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

Yes, these six guppies will be the only fish in the tank. Forgot to mention that it's a Top Fin Power 20 filter. Right now, there are no fish in the tank. I was planning to start adding them tomorrow.

4. Merryn O'Shea

Okay they should be fine on their own as long as all of your water parameters are fine and the tank has been cycled for a while haha (I gather that it has). Are you going to have male or female?

5. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

It's only been cycled for a few days, at most. It took what seems like forever to cycle lol. I'll have all males, because I don't want to take care of fry or see their parents eat them or see the fry alive and active and then know their parents ate them when I see fewer fry or see that one I liked most is missing.

So should I go with the plan of adding two tomorrow and then adding two every four days with water testing every day until I have six guppies in there and then testing for four more days after that? Also, which tests are necessary? I'm guessing pH, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, but are there any others I need to do in this process?

6. Merryn O'Shea

A few days? Your tank needs to be cycled for at least a couple of weeks. The cycle can take up to 6 weeks to complete. I would say drop the idea of getting fish for now and let it cycle first. A fishless cycle is the best, but by the sounds of things here I believe you want to cycle your tank with fish? I do not recommenced this because it is torture for the fish and you will most likely loose them as their stress levels will build. Overall, leave your tank alone and let it cycle for a while longer, unless you can get your hands on already cycled material. Maybe from a fishkeeper friend?
    As for testing you must have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I don't have a PH one however if you have it them thaat is good. I normally go to my LFS and they test it for me for free.

7. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

OP means the cycle has been COMPLETED a few days ago.

8. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

Yes. It was cycling for about 2 months. The cycle has been completed for at most 12 days now (there are no fish in it, so I took a break from testing for a while and when I did the testing for the first time in 11 days yesterday, it was cycled. Now it's been another day, so 12 days).

9. Merryn O'Shea

Ohhh I get you now haha. I thought you meant that it was cycling for only two days haha. In that case then I would say that it is fine to start adding your guppies, just make susre that all of your water parameters are fine and that you have the resources you need incase something happens. For example you get an ammonia spike

10. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

I have Seachem Prime and am running low on Seachem Stability, but will get some tonight before adding the fish.

11. OP
    OP
    guppiesandpuppies

Forgot to say that I also have all the supplies for water changes