Is this a good idea?

1. fish1lover Initiate Member

Hi,

Currently I have 2 male Mikey Mouse Mollies, 1 Male Black Molly and 1 male Guppy. I am planning to add 3 female guppies into the tank. 29 Gall with some life plants and Driftwood. My purpose for the fries to be food for the other fishes. If some of the fries survive I don't mind. My question is will the male mollies try to mate with the female guppies too?

Thanks

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Yup, Guppies and Mollies can breed and Platies and and Swords can breed, though Platy can't breed with Molly or guppies.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Your "mollies" are actually Platies ;) Mollies do not come in a Mickey Mouse pattern, and even Google a search of "Mickey Mouse Molly" brought up pictures of Platies :) But at amy rate, I think thats fine. You've certainly got the space.

Platies and guppies can not cross, but guppies and mollies can, and fry are called "muppies." They don't tend to last very long, for some reason.

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I have raised Mollies for years and have never heard of a Mickey Mouse Molly. I am sure that someone had a tank mislabeled and you actually have Mickey Mouse Platies. If you could post some pictures we could help you make a positive ID on your fish. Mollies and Guppies and cross bread with each other but nether can cross bread with the Platies. Platies can and will cross bread with Swordtails.

5. fish1lover Initiate Member

Yes...my bad...it is Mickey Mouse Platy.