Is This A Good First Setup For A 20 Gallon Tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Michael123, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Michael123New MemberMember

Hello, I have been interested in getting into this hobby for awhile, so after research, I was thinking about doing this for a 20 gallon tank.

5 Corydoras
    5 Tetras
    5 danios
    1 gourami

Would this be considered overstocked? I think it might be, but I want to see if more experienced people think so. If it is I would greatly appreciate feedback and suggestions.

2. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

No. You should be aiming for 6 schooling fish per group. And tetras... well I keep neons, rhummy nose and congos... all vastly different. What types? Same for danios. What type?

Hope that helps!

3. Michael123New MemberMember

I was considering neon tetras and rose danios. Would 6 of each schooling fish be overstocked? If so, what do you suggest I change?

4. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I'm not sure I'd do that many schools in a 20. I'd do the cories, then pick which you like more: The tetras or the danios. And what kind of gourami?

5. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Is this a 20 gallon high or long?

Either way it would be better to stick with one middle schooling fish

What type of gourami?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I personal believe that upping your stock to 6 from 5 wont do much difference but more.is.always better for.schooling fish

7. Michael123New MemberMember

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I am planning to use a 20 gallon high and using a dwarf gourami. I think I'll go tetras over danios. So right now I'm planning on going with this:
    6 panda corydoras
    6 neon tetras
    1 dwarf gourami

If there's a good top dwelling fish, or top dwelling gourami that I could replace the dwarf gourami with? From what I've heard they're bottom dwellers.

8. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Maybe mine were strange, but my honey gouramis stayed towards the top. They're smaller and more peacefuul than DGs, but very social. I kept 2 males in my 20 long without many issues, just occasional chasing.

9. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would up the cories and neons to 8, you have room for more and they are happier in larger groups

10. Michael123New MemberMember

Thanks so much for the input! I'll do some research on those. In the meantime, if anybody has some more suggestions for top dwellers, let me know.

About uping the Cory and tetra count, I'm not sure I'd have enough room. Once I have everything set up and there's room, I'll be sure to add more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2017
  11. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I'd up the neons but not the cories. Just my opinion though.

12. Sakanať≠öWell Known MemberMember

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't panda cories need cooler temps then the DG? Other then that ur stocking sounds great. I would start with the neons and then the corys and add the DG last.

13. Michael123New MemberMember

Also I was wondering, could I replace the gourami with 6 rose danios? I really prefer small schooling fish, so if there's other suggestions, feel free to give them.

14. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

No, I would just do one mid dwelling school in a 20 gallon (unless they are tiny nano fish like CPD or ember tetras)
    1 DG takes up a lot less tank space than 6 rose danios

15. Michael123New MemberMember

So now it looks like I'm doing:
    6 neon tetras
    6 panda corys
    1 honey gourami

I would still prefer a few small fish over the HG, but this seems great. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

16. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I think you could pull off two HG, but I'm a notorious 'overstocker'.

17. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I would up the neons to 10

18. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Neons are fragile, I wouldn't even buy them. Cardinals instead?

19. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

You could replace the honey gourami with 2-3 nicely colored male guppies.

I think 8 neons, 5 corys, and 3 guppies is very doable. If you are just starting, I would suggest starting with just the 5 corys and 3 guppies. Once established, and tank is good to go, you can add in the more sensitive neons, maybe 4 one week, and 4 more a few weeks after that. This gives your beneficial bacteria/biofilter time to catch up.

20. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I feel like neons would nip at the guppies fins. And you'd need more than 2-3 males for a successful fraternity (personal experience).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice