Is this a good filter set up for my tank?

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So Im setting up a second tank, which is 56 Gallon (216L). To be quite honest, the research I have done on filters has confused me, but I think I have the right idea. I want to get a canister filter, and a sponge filter. My LFS's don't really have much in the way of serious aquarium gear so I went online, and discovered this:

Its perfectly within my price range, and couple with a sponge filter in the tank, am reasonably sure it would provide adequate filtration. I would like to go out and get an Eheim 2215 or something but its a tad expensive . It gives over 6x LPH ratio, which I read is enough.

Also, are there specific sponge filters to look out for? Or are they all pretty much on par and I can just get a random brand from my LFS?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've often wondered about the ebay canister filters. I'm planning on getting one to try it out.

I've had good experiences with UV. However, the effectiveness of the UV is inversely proportional to the flow rate. If the water is flowing through the UV filter at the same rate it's flowing through the rest of the filter, then the contact time is not long enough to provide real benefits. You want a UV with a large volume and a low flow rate for maximum exposure.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never heard of that brand before but it looks ok to me. I'd recommend either an eheim 2215 or 2217 if price wasn't an issue, but if you don't want to spend that much then give that one a go.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it compares with the 2217 then you won't need a sponge filter as well, I run a 2217 on a 300ltr tank and it is fine by itself.

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would like a sponge filter in it for added bio filtration, and also to chuck straight into a quarantine tank (10gallon) that I am going to set up also.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In that case I'd just go for one of the small Aquaone sponge filters.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The Reef Shop, online, has great prices for Eheim if you want to stay with a trusted brand. (Thanks to Ryan for the tip)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom