20 Gallon Tank Is this a good deal?

MySquishy

So I found this 20 long for sale on Craigslist yesterday.
I’ve been leaning towards a 29, but according to aquadvisor, I can still fit my livebearers and cories, especially if I swap mollies for platies.

6E27C2B2-F62B-484F-A58D-D07727B84BA6.jpeg

The only items I could positively Identify without calling the guy is the Aqueon tank and lid, (doller/gallon sale is going on at my petco right now.) the api test strips, the Aqueon quietflow 20, (I assumed 20) and the $70 light. Everything else, I did the math with the items I’ve picked out and bookmarked to get someday, so I could have chosen things that cost more or less than what’s included here. The only thing I’d still need is a thermometer, pool filter sand, fish food, and fish. Maybe some additional decor or plants down the road.

My total came to $244
If I go with the Craigslist deal, it’s $134.
That’s significant!

Any reason I should be wary? Or red flags I should look for if I go see this? It’s near me.

Crimson_687

The most expensive and significant thing here is the light. I’d find that light on Amazon, read customer reviews and compare it to other lights amazon sells. I’ve seen aquarium lights quite affordable on amazon, for example a white 14.5 inch at $14... if it’s color changing it’ll be more expensive, if color change is what you’re looking for. The air pumps are significant too, in the pic looks like the TopFin 20 model. Everything else is not too important, the tank u could get on $ per gallon (it will be a standard 20 tho, not 20 long), the Aqueon 20 you may want to run alongside another filter for over filtration, heaters go cheap on amazon and mollies prefer cooler water anyway, the test strips are less accurate than liquid and single-use, the siphon is just a siphon, media is all cheap. By value this is a good deal, but you may or may not need/use all of it and the light could be not as good as it boasts.

Upvote 0

Bunkerchunk

meh. I personally wouldn't trust a used tank or heater & you don't know the mileage on the other stuff.
Stuff may be a good deal at ~$50 to use as back up equipment.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Do you know how old his setup is? Do your review ahead of time, it is not worth it if the equipment is not in working order, or dies within a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

MySquishy

I haven’t contacted him yet- that’s one concern I have: how long before I have to replace this stuff?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I would ask if he would take an even $100. or keep looking, used aqurium and products go cheep, or dont even go. I couldnt pay someone to take my 30 gallons with stand and tons of other stuff.

Also, I dont trust Aquadviser to flush my toilet.

Also, 9 more gallons is a 30 % upgrade and worth the extra cost. If you have room do a 30 gallon, it is longer tank with more swimming room. and only a little more money then a 29.

Upvote 0

Bunkerchunk

I think you can do better. Just doing a quick search on my local craigslist I found an unused 29 Gallon kit for sale at $75;

Upvote 0

Crimson_687

I would ask if he would take an even $100. or keep looking, used aqurium and products go cheep, or dont even go. I couldnt pay someone to take my 30 gallons with stand and tons of other stuff.
If you’ve got stuff to sell now is a good time. Just like workout and backyard items, aquarium stuff is in high demand rn Bcs everyone is staying home. I’ve seen entire shelves picked clean...
I haven’t contacted him yet- that’s one concern I have: how long before I have to replace this stuff?
It’s hard to know how long this stuff has been not in-use before the seller posted it. I do think you could find a better deal though

Upvote 0

RayClem

If you really are interested, I would suggest you contact the seller for some more details.

How old is the tank?

What brand and model of light is it?

What size Aqueon filter? I use Aqueon 50 filters on my 20 gallon tanks and consider an Aqueon 20 to be undersized.

What wattage and brand of heater?

Without those added details it is impossible to know whether this is a good deal.

Upvote 0

MySquishy

The most expensive and significant thing here is the light. I’d find that light on Amazon, read customer reviews and compare it to other lights amazon sells.

Turns out the reviews aren’t all great. It has 4.5 stars, but after a year or so, it goes downhill.
I’m not terribly interested in the light.
I just want to be able to see my fish. Nothing fancy.

Also, I dont trust Aquadviser to flush my toilet.

Also, 9 more gallons is a 30 % upgrade and worth the extra cost. If you have room do a 30 gallon, it is longer tank with more swimming room. and only a little more money then a 29.

It’s a 20 long, so the footprint is the same.
As long as the dresser can hold the weight, I’d rather have the 29. It’s $29 @ petco at the moment. The 20L is $20.
If you really are interested, I would suggest you contact the seller for some more details.

How old is the tank?

What brand and model of light is it?

What size Aqueon filter? I use Aqueon 50 filters on my 20 gallon tanks and consider an Aqueon 20 to be undersized.

What wattage and brand of heater?

Without those added details it is impossible to know whether this is a good deal.

Emailed seller with questions.
We’ll see what he says.
If nothing else, this prompted me to notice the sale is on @ petco.

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

Hmmm, if all you just want to see your fish and don’t care about the light and want fake plants, I could easily replicate this set up for way less with new and better heater, new and better filter, and you could actually pick out your own decor. Bad deal.

Some people in this hobby don’t realize our fish, ornaments, lights etc. is very specific to what we like and our setups. It’s like jewelry. When they resell the seem to plan to finding their exact twin and make most of not all their money back.

When in reality it doesn’t work like that.

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Some people in this hobby don’t realize our fish, ornaments, lights etc. is very specific to what we like and our setups. It’s like jewelry. When they resell the seem to plan to finding their exact twin and make most of not all their money back.

When in reality it doesn’t work like that.

Very true. Good point.

Hmmm, if all you just want to see your fish and don’t care about the light and want fake plants, I could easily replicate this set up for way less with new and better heater, new and better filter, and you could actually pick out your own decor. Bad deal.

Really?
Does that mean you have a filter/heater you’re trying to sell?

Upvote 0

fishnovice33

Very true. Good point.

Really?
Does that mean you have a filter/heater you’re trying to sell?

Lol no, it just means you can do better and it’s not a good deal. It doesn’t even say the heater brand some are really cheap and faulty. You’d have to replace that soon anyways if you don’t want to risk dead fish.

I mean you can buy an aqueon kit for $120.00, everything brand new and you can pick out your decor.

But it does say OBO. I’d shoot for $60, doubt they’ll get another offer more than that.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

You should be able to get a new tank, lid, filter, and heater for close to the same money (less if you step down in light). It looks like the rest of the stuff is inconsequential.

Upvote 0

Skydognyc

So I found this 20 long for sale on Craigslist yesterday.
I’ve been leaning towards a 29, but according to aquadvisor, I can still fit my livebearers and cories, especially if I swap mollies for platies.

6E27C2B2-F62B-484F-A58D-D07727B84BA6.jpeg

The only items I could positively Identify without calling the guy is the Aqueon tank and lid, (doller/gallon sale is going on at my petco right now.) the api test strips, the Aqueon quietflow 20, (I assumed 20) and the $70 light. Everything else, I did the math with the items I’ve picked out and bookmarked to get someday, so I could have chosen things that cost more or less than what’s included here. The only thing I’d still need is a thermometer, pool filter sand, fish food, and fish. Maybe some additional decor or plants down the road.

My total came to $244
If I go with the Craigslist deal, it’s $134.
That’s significant!

Any reason I should be wary? Or red flags I should look for if I go see this? It’s near me.

PET SMART SELLING THIS KIT TANK, hood, light, pump/filter, thermometer and heater BRAND NEW - for $59!

Only think not in the kit at PS is the decoration and extra pump.

BUY IT NEW!
they may have the other stuff on sale as well!

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Lol no, it just means you can do better and it’s not a good deal. It doesn’t even say the heater brand some are really cheap and faulty. You’d have to replace that soon anyways if you don’t want to risk dead fish.

I mean you can buy an aqueon kit for $120.00, everything brand new and you can pick out your decor.

But it does say OBO. I’d shoot for $60, doubt they’ll get another offer more than that.

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

Upvote 0

Skydognyc

PET SMART SELLING THIS KIT TANK, hood, light, pump/filter, thermometer and heater BRAND NEW - for $59!

Only think not in the kit at PS is the decoration and extra pump.

BUY IT NEW!
they may have the other stuff on sale as well!

Ugh. I should learn to just listen and not pipe in with false info. I checked and petsmart tank whole diff thing
(you probably know that... I’m new you guys r experienced... just that I’ve been in pet store for beta emergency no time to order and wait and saw the tank... which was actually only 10 gals and .... was more than I said. But it did come w lots of fun accessories just to let you know. Good luck w your new tank whether it’s this one or you build your own...)

Includes:
10 Gallon Glass tank with hood
Bright White LED
Thermometer
4 in Nylon Net
Water test Vial
50 Watt Heater
Top Fin Silentstream 10 Power Filter with cartridge instruction Manual

.... just sayin’

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Ugh. I should learn to just listen and not pipe in with false info. I checked and petsmart tank whole diff thing
(you probably know that... I’m new you guys r experienced... just that I’ve been in pet store for beta emergency no time to order and wait and saw the tank... which was actually only 10 gals and .... was more than I said. But it did come w lots of fun accessories just to let you know. Good luck w your new tank whether it’s this one or you build your own...)

Includes:
10 Gallon Glass tank with hood
Bright White LED
Thermometer
4 in Nylon Net
Water test Vial
50 Watt Heater
Top Fin Silentstream 10 Power Filter with cartridge instruction Manual

.... just sayin’

Hey, it’s ok.
l’m a newbie too, if you have a betta you’re ahead of me.
I checked my petsmart’s website, and it does have that kit on sale. At a glance it looks like a better value, but from what I’ve heard topfin is lesser quality than aqueon.
I’m still i’m glad you mentioned Petsmart tho, seeing their high prices makes me feel better about spending my money on other better brands, at better prices.

I think I’ll take advantage of the dollar per gallon sale, and build my own 29 gal tank.

I went back thru, and if I get the more bargain option of each item,
(shop all over, amazon, Lowe’s, etc.) I can cut my startup cost to closer to $150.

Thanks everyone for helping me brainstorm!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
harleygrooo
Replies
Views
BarristanTheBold
Replies
Views
86 ssinit