Is this a good betta tank set up?

1. Brittney Member Member

Well I have an ammonia problem right now due to not cycling my tank correctly so its going through the cycle right now. So I bought a java fern plant, made my filter less powerful (diy) and so on. Especially since my fish has some fin damage due to a plastic plant I used to have that I took out. So I've been doing 25% daily water changes. :) so is this a good setup for now? Or permanently?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Looks good to me! :)

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A few tall plants for him to swim through & rest on would be a good addition, but it's looking good :)

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Exactly

5. Brittney Member Member

All the tall plants my pet stores sell say they are made of silk but are made of plastic. Therefore I can not get one. And the only plant I like is the java fern and they're small, but are the only ones compatible with salt which I am using to help reduce infection

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

If can find willow hygro, it will survive in very little light and will grow like crazy if given any kind of decent light source. It grows upward forever, it is a plant that requires weekly pruning in a higher light tank.

I put a stem of it in a tank with a broken light and with nothing but indirect light (in my kitchen) and expected it to die after which I would replace it. But it hasn't died (6 months) and has actually slowly grown in there, really slowly admittedly.

7. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Hi Brittney!

You might be able to attach some pieces of java fern to a suitable piece of driftwood - this would give your betta somewhere to rest near the surface☺

Bettas have different lifespans - I believe a betta with clean water, filter, heater & care can certainly live 3-5 years. One of mine is over 3 years, another 2 1/2 and the last is under a year.

I will defer to .http://@Fried Bettas as he raises them and may have more knowledge on the subject.

Have you named yours yet?

8. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Typical lifespan of a well cared for and well bred betta is about 3-4 years. I have seen one live 5 years and another that made it past 6 years, but that is rather extraordinary. Unfortunately betta fall prey to quite a few ailments that end their life sooner, even when well taken care off. Often I think this is the result of genetic defects. So don't necessarily blame yourself if you betta gets sick prematurely.

9. Blakeio Initiate Member

Hey Brittney,
    If i was you id change the color of the sub to maybe a mid darkness pea gravel so that if you have anybody over theyre attention would be drawn to the Betta and not the substrate.
    And like the others said a tall plant for security wouldn't hurt.
    Gix