Is this a good betta tank set up?

1. Brittney

Brittney Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have an ammonia problem right now due to not cycling my tank correctly so its going through the cycle right now. So I bought a java fern plant, made my filter less powerful (diy) and so on. Especially since my fish has some fin damage due to a plastic plant I used to have that I took out. So I've been doing 25% daily water changes. :) so is this a good setup for now? Or permanently?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Looks good to me! :)

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    A few tall plants for him to swim through & rest on would be a good addition, but it's looking good :)

4. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Exactly

5. OP
    OP
    Brittney

Brittney Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All the tall plants my pet stores sell say they are made of silk but are made of plastic. Therefore I can not get one. And the only plant I like is the java fern and they're small, but are the only ones compatible with salt which I am using to help reduce infection

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. _Fried_Bettas_

Ratings:
    +36
    If can find willow hygro, it will survive in very little light and will grow like crazy if given any kind of decent light source. It grows upward forever, it is a plant that requires weekly pruning in a higher light tank.

I put a stem of it in a tank with a broken light and with nothing but indirect light (in my kitchen) and expected it to die after which I would replace it. But it hasn't died (6 months) and has actually slowly grown in there, really slowly admittedly.

7. Fishy Friends

Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Brittney!

You might be able to attach some pieces of java fern to a suitable piece of driftwood - this would give your betta somewhere to rest near the surface☺

Bettas have different lifespans - I believe a betta with clean water, filter, heater & care can certainly live 3-5 years. One of mine is over 3 years, another 2 1/2 and the last is under a year.

I will defer to .http://@Fried Bettas as he raises them and may have more knowledge on the subject.

Have you named yours yet?

8. _Fried_Bettas_

Ratings:
    +36
    Typical lifespan of a well cared for and well bred betta is about 3-4 years. I have seen one live 5 years and another that made it past 6 years, but that is rather extraordinary. Unfortunately betta fall prey to quite a few ailments that end their life sooner, even when well taken care off. Often I think this is the result of genetic defects. So don't necessarily blame yourself if you betta gets sick prematurely.

9. Blakeio

Blakeio Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Brittney,
    If i was you id change the color of the sub to maybe a mid darkness pea gravel so that if you have anybody over theyre attention would be drawn to the Betta and not the substrate.
    And like the others said a tall plant for security wouldn't hurt.
    Gix