Is This A Fungus On My Neon?

1. TAshlie Initiate Member

Hi! I have a neon tetra with a coating of something on its body. My readings are ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. My tank is heavily planted and I have about 15 neons total. This neon is the only one that has this issue. He is eating and swimming normally. He doesn’t act sick. He is colored nicely and not rubbing up against anything. He just appears to have something all over his scales. It’s almost hazy. I thought it was ich so I raised the temp a few days ago; but now I’m not sure. He hasn’t shown any difference yet, and if it’s a fungus I need to lower the temp. So I thought I’d see what some of you thought. Thanks so much!!

Attached Files:

2. mbkemp Member Member

Are they bumps? Any time I have seen a neon getting a light shade by the tail it has lead to death. There might be more going on with this one

3. TAshlie Initiate Member

Thanks!! No bumps. I’ve had them since around June and they’ve been pretty healthy except for one early on. It’s more like it’s the white is sitting on him, layered, not a body color change. Not sure if that makes sense or not. That’s why I didn’t think NTD. I hope it’s nothing like that.

4. mbkemp Member Member

I understand what you are describing. I’m down to three. One by one the others all did this. Good luck to you!!

5. TAshlie Initiate Member

Was it only neons or other fish too? I have cories as well.

6. mbkemp Member Member

It has only been the neons

7. TAshlie Initiate Member

Anyone else have any ideas? Do I need to take him out and euthanize him before he can infect the others? I don’t want to do that if it’s something that is curable.

8. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Could be columnaris. Can't tell from the pics though.

9. IndigoTJo Well Known Member Member

Gosh those guys are tiny. It is hard to tell. It looks like ich to me. Does any of your other fish in tank have an injury? Typically fungus doesn't come in until after an injury on one of the fish creates a host.

10. mbkemp Member Member

I tried to save the first few. I did a ton of reading.
    I don’t think it is columnaris because it did not spread past neons. I did not settle in a diagnosis that made sense to me.

After the first few passed I began to net out the ones that had this and euthanize.

My rams and Cory’s spawned right through it. All I lost were neons. Very pretty fish. Unless I can get wild I am done with them

11. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is the Columnarisstrain that is on neons nowadays. If you look at the red line there seems to be something in it as well.

12. TAshlie Initiate Member

They are always nipping and chasing each other. One has a tail injury, but it’s slowly improving.

13. TAshlie Initiate Member

Thanks!! If it’s columnaris, its most definitely the slow moving kind. I tried to net the little guy, but they are too freaking fast and there are too many places for them to hide in there. I may have to wait until it is lights out tonight and get him while he’s asleep.

14. mbkemp Member Member

That is how I had to catch mine

15. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Your Title caught my eye. I have 6 Black Neon Tetras. Just a Newbie. Did a search and found this, not sure its the problem. Just a possibility?

{title}

16. TAshlie Initiate Member

I am inclined to agree with you. I had one neon, early on, with a white tumor in his mouth. All other neons were fine, as was he. I treated for columnaris and fungus with no success. Eventually it grew to the point where he couldn’t eat so I had to euthanize him. No other fish has gotten ill until now. This little guy isn’t even acting sick either...he just looks bad. I’m going to decrease the temp slowly because I’m thinking it’s less likely that he’s got ich and I don’t want to stress them out with the higher temps if I don’t have to. Thanks for your response.

17. TAshlie Initiate Member

Thank you!!

18. IndigoTJo Well Known Member Member

The more you post, the less likely it is ich. I really hope there is something you can do.

19. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I also suspect Columnaris in this case.

Did you manage to implement my suggestions in your earlier topic?

"From my experience with Neon Tetra I have found (through experience and research) the following combination may be conducive to good health:
    Good water quality
    Temperature ideally 74F ranging occasionally from 68F to 76F
    Oxygenation good (filter outlet at water surface, no bubbles necessary)
    Gentle but definite flow
    Good varied diet little and often
    No fish that might dominate or intimidate them.
    Plants to retreat to (but they won't hide in them much if they are happy, it's just for security)
    Soft water (I collect rainwater to dilute my hard supply water)"

If so I think you will have it under control without having to resort to chemicals which don't really solve the underlying cause. If the fish need chemicals to stop the disease then what happens when you stop using the chemicals? The disease comes back. Bacteria can survive chemicals by entering a resting stage called a spore. You can use chemicals constantly. This is what fish farms do. However, using chemicals continually is not a good idea for many reasons including cost, side effects, damage to cycle bacteria and promotion of disease resistance.

20. TAshlie Initiate Member

Thank you! I keep temps between 74-76. Water quality has always been good and we have soft water. I feed them Omega One flakes and omnivore small pellets. They also occasionally get frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and daphnia. I have a heavily planted tank. I do turn on a bubble wand at night, but I have a valve that decreases the air flow so that it doesn’t disturb them. Most of the time, they are doing their own thing, unless someone walks by and then they school. If they hear my voice though, they are ready to eat! Ha! Thanks again.