Is This A Female Betta??

Danielasbettas

Reaction score
It was sold to me at petco as a female but I'm starting to think it is a male. I don't see any egg spot.
Also what type of betta does it look like to be?
Thanks.

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try putting a mirror in front of him(?) if he becomes obsessed in it he’s probably a male as females tend to be more chill

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Iverg1 said:
Male Betta fish will generally have long dorsal (top), ventral (bottom), and caudal (tail) fins. Often 2-3+ times their body height. The dorsal and caudal fins will often droop due to their length. Female Betta fish will typically have shorter fins about as long as the Betta is tall or shorter. Female Betta's ventral fin may often resemble a hair comb.
Courtesy of wikihow
He also looks like a plakat to me

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Looks like a male. He looks pretty small in the picture, so I'd guess that he'll turn out to be a delta tail eventually.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Ice, appears to be make from the body shape and such. To get an accurate tail type it’d be useful to get a photo of him flaring.

Danielasbettas

Reaction score
Platylover said:
I agree with Ice, appears to be make from the body shape and such. To get an accurate tail type it’d be useful to get a photo of him flaring.
Thought so, I'll post a photo of him flaring tomorrow since he is a bit stressed out already from going into the new tank

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No ovaries showing through the body, it is male.

Edit: aggression is not regulated to one sex, females flare as well and can be aggressive more so than males.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely a male, you would be able to see a yellowish triangle of ovaries taking up a good portion of its insides if it were a female. I would have to say it will not be a long finned male, it looks nearly full grown so I'd guess he's a HM plakat. You can clearly see his rays in the tail branch at least twice, so either HM or delta for sure.

Depending in how large he is and if he grows even more, he may even be a giant/king plakat. Lovely fish though, I adore light colored bettas as they often change color over time. Marbled bettas are the best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom