Is this a female Apistogramma Cacatuodies?

LordGrim

Hi all, I just bought a pair of apisto from my local LFS.
The male can be fairly easy to differentiate but i am having problem to see if the other is a female or a juve male.
Kindly help me ID. Thanks
IMG20200718171406.jpgIMG20200718171922.jpg

FishBoy101

That is a beautiful tank!! I think it is a female.

yukondog

It may be a female and that is my thinking but, with all the inbreeding and mutations the females have started taking on more of the male traits, what I do to bring out the male in sneakers is to remove him or the male and even better is to put the suspected sneeker in with a female and a lot of times he will start to color up and want to become the dominant male, good luck.

Flyfisha

I would suggest if you just have the two apistogrammas watching how they interact should give a clue? A better shot of the complete tail might help?

I think female.

jake37

I didn't want to say anything because my experience is limited and there are a lot of different colour combinations but it doens't really look like one of my females. Oddly enough one big difference is the complete lack of colours. My females (triple red) have a lot of colour. On the other hand my males do not go pale in front of the dominant male so i'm not too sure here. Size wise is it smaller than the known male? The female should be quite a bit smaller.

alx

Nice tank. Curious what you paid for them. I can't ever seem to find any Apistos at my LFS so I only know online prices.

LordGrim

Thanks for the replies~~
As for their behavior, i don't see much aggression or even interaction between them... :(
The male usually stay at the front or the tank while the "female" usually at the back, time to time i do see them together for a moment. The male will turn his body and tail like a"C" shape and even slight poke at the "female". The "female" will just swim away while the male don't really give chase.
Size wise the "female" is smaller. I caught her because she is the smallest in the tank.
I have attach some new photos. Hopefully they are better to clear the doubt.
I might try getting a solo female to see their reaction.
female-4.jpgtail.jpgtogether-1.jpg

jake37

I'm thinking it is a female.

Top Bottom