Is this a decent price?

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Shine, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ShineWell Known MemberMember

Someone is selling their pond (well the liner I guess..its a hard shell so I'm not sure what to call it). It is a 90 G, and about 5 feet long by 41 inches wide. They are asking 50$ for it....

I have no idea what they usually cost :;dk

2. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Seems like a good price, I did a quick google search and came up with this:

The part that looks like it would hurt the most is the rest of the setup:

OUCH! :;smack

3. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

$900!! wow...

4. ShineWell Known MemberMember

That 'mini pond kit' from the second link includes the liner.... but yeah, filters is where the heavy cost always seems to be ;-p

5. catfishlover123Well Known MemberMember

Have you thought of looking at online stores like cragilist? Maybe they have one that is cheaper...0.

6. ShineWell Known MemberMember

And the cost of shipping? lol-- especially for something the size of a pond shell, would be insane! This one is on the local version of 'craigslist'; one of the 'UsedEverywhere' sites

7. ShineWell Known MemberMember

On a 90 G pond what kind of filter would you need? I went looking and the one store only had filters that were made for 300 Gs and up!

Could you use a large HOB filter? Or is that just crazy?

What other equip would you need for a pond that small anyway? I'd kind of like it to be my goldies' summer home....

8. gremlinWell Known MemberMember

Since you want it to house goldies, go ahead and get the larger filter. I use an external pressure filter from Dr's Foster and Smith - the FishMate brand that is for a 2000 gallon pond even though my pond is less than 1000 gallons. Then you would need a decent pump, once again I got mine from Dr's Foster and Smith. A PondMaster Mag Drive pump. Other than that, not much. You could even go with one of the waterfall type filters - that way you would have a perfect way for the water to get back into the pond and it would add a bit of extra aeration as well as a place for some floating plants like water hyacinths and water lettuce. These plants will help with the biological filtration also.

9. ShineWell Known MemberMember

I found this kit at an online garden supply site:
    The Starter 100 Gallon Liner Pond Kit includes the following:

Item Price
    Firestone 45 mil EPDM 10' x 6' Liner $50.00
    Energy efficient Superflo 200 GPH pump $59.99
    4 fountain heads and fountain extender $31.98
    Telescopic riser and diverter /w flow control $29.99
    Tubing and clamps $5.00
    Two 6" silk water lilies $9.99
    Pond Treatment $10.99
    TOTAL $197.94
    OUR PRICE $97.99

for some reason this looks like a better option then buying a shell for 50 and then a filtration system for $50-200......

They had a 400 gallon kit for 180 too if I really go insane..... :;sonar (plus 25 shipping they say)

10. gremlinWell Known MemberMember

I'd go with the 400 gallon kit. You would be getting four times the pond for only twice the price. That would make it more economical.

11. ShineWell Known MemberMember

Is it reasonable that you need all the stuff that is in the kit? And are you getting quality products in a kit, or are they doomed to break within a year...

I kind of like the shells rather then a liner just because the shell is less likely to spring a leak and need to be replaced...(though that could be just my uninformed impression)

12. gremlinWell Known MemberMember

I like the shell since it is already rigid and holds it's shape. The liner gives you a bit more flexibility as to where you have your pond. The shells can spring a leak as easily as the liners. My first pond (shell) has two holes in it. One on the shelf where a rock fell in from a cat knocking it off the waterfall (left a hole big enough to stick a pencil through), and one in the bottom just from wear and tear - the fiberglass just wore through. My current pond is a different material. The first pond was fiberglass, this one is a sturdy plastic or vinyl. There are really only three things you need. The liner, a pump, and a filter. Anything else is just window dressing. You want to go as big as you can with a pond - especially since you want goldfish in it. A larger filter and pump means less wear and tear since they don't have to work quite as hard and less maintenance for you. The larger pump will also give you the flexibility of how you want the water returned to the pond - whether it be a waterfall, two waterfalls, a multi-level waterfall, or a fountain of some type. Or any combination of them. Look at what is in the kit, if it tells the brand/type of filter and pump and such, google them and see what they would cost on their own compared to other filters and pumps and such. Make yourself a chart that includes the brand name, the price (if purchased separately), the pond size they are able to handle, the flow rate, and any other relevant data. Then sort them by size, by price, etc. and look at the list very carefully. Ask yourself why does filter A that is rated for a pond up to 4000 gallons cost $425 when filter B that is also rated for a pond up to 4000 gallons only cost $270?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice