Is This A Danger?

This is a... (Please only use a second answer to identify the likely sex of these shrimps)

• Saddle

• Marking

• Dangerous (i.e. parasite, worm, sickness, etc)

• Female

• Male

Results are only viewable after voting.

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've gotten decent in the last couple months at sexing my neo shrimp but these cherries have me confused and a little worried.
Most of the 8 cherries I got have this same look to some degree or another. One or two I know what sex they are....I think...
But I just don't know about the rest of them and if I should be worried about them spreading something bad like maybe horsehair worms!?!? to my juveniles or baby fry that currently share the tank.
So is this (and the other 6 or so similar looking ones) a saddled female? A weird genetic color mark this batch has, and if so how do I sex then? Or is this something I need to be worried about like worms or other parasites/sickness that I need to get on top of before it gets to my blue young?
Ty for all advice and answers!

5CF0FDA9-83DA-4DBF-832B-8434C92C081C.jpeg E450F71C-1F2C-48A5-B297-D0C72537FEB2.jpeg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Any chance you could get a clearer picture? From here, it does look like a saddle, especially since it's yellow. That one is also definitely a female

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
Any chance you could get a clearer picture? From here, it does look like a saddle, especially since it's yellow. That one is also definitely a female
I’ll try to take some more of the bunch. Did you zoom in on the pics tho? That one I thought was about as decent as one can get without netting them individually (which I’ll do if I have to....) or have a macro lens (looking into getting one of those that adapt to iPhone cameras !), but I’ll try my best. I might already have some in my aquarium pic folder but I’m such a perfectionist shutterbug that I have wayyyy to many photos in there and all my others too!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like a saddle. Coloration may be genetic, or it could be because your shrimp are lighter. I really have no clue, but yours does appear odd. Here are two of mine with obvious saddles.
98A22179-0B22-43C2-8E90-D4B63F6D35F0.jpeg

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't see anything wrong with that shrimp. Just looks like a saddled female with less than amazing coloring.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My blue dreams have saddles that color, as do some of their wild type offspring. That being said, I've only had experience with some shrimp parasites, not internal ones, but if you're really worried you could order some PraziPro just to have on hand. It'll kill any worm-like parasite and is safe for shrimp

River Gray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've got some fenbenzedol...Or however that's spelled. And ParaGuard tho that isn't completely safe for shrimp so I might have to look for shrimp specific ones...But hopefully it's nothing bad... I'll take those better photos a little later today... I would do it now but I think my sleepless night is catching up with me as I feel like I've been hit by a truck and I'm getting that irrationally mad kinda feeling where you want to bite everyone's head off even though you're not actually mad at them so you almost wish they'd screw up major so you'd be justified in reaming them a new one! @.@

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom