Is this a Chinese algea eater?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Snorre, Jul 22, 2015.

1. S

Snorre New Member Member

Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/8jKaM

I went to the petstore to get a copple of Siamese algea eaters, I returned with two of what I think is Chinese algea eaters. The petstore I went to dont even know what they are, as the fish are listed as "General stuff" on the receipt, and I payed 6 USD for each fish! Something that might point to them not beeing Chinese algea eaters is that they cleand out all the algea in less than two days, something I have heard Chinese algea eaters usually dont do. Right now they are very shy, and dont seem to be bothering any other fish.
    If these are Chinese algea eaters they will grow out of my tank and I have heard that they arent the most friendly fish in the world. What should I do?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

3. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Yes they're CAEs

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Chinese Algae Eaters DO eat algae as juveniles but they stop doing this as they get older. You need to really understand the shape of the mouth and the finnage so you buy the TRUE SAEs and not end up buying a CAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Hampalong, couldn't see the link earlier no idea why

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice