Is this a bladder snail?

Davidh9054

Like the title says need some help identifying what type of snail this is. I added some frogbit to my tank about a month ago that had some snails on it but I went over one by one getting rid of any snails I saw even the tiniest of snails. This is the first time I see one in my tank luckily I’ve only seen that one and it looks kinda big. I do have a mystery snail that I added about 2 weeks ago but I haven’t seen any egg sacs. Would it be normal to just now a moth after start to see them?

Attachments

• 27F1A676-F1B6-45E2-9A15-2CC86BC44AC0.jpeg
    27F1A676-F1B6-45E2-9A15-2CC86BC44AC0.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 13

JLAquatics

Yes, that looks like a Bladder Snail to me. They likely hitchhiked on your Frogbit from a month back in the form of snail eggs. Even one viable egg can hatch into a Bladder Snail and it will multiply rapidly with the abundance of food sources in your aquarium. However, I honestly keep these little guys in all my aquariums without overpopulation issues for a few reasons.

1. They are well known to eat up algae and decaying plant matter, they are essentially tiny landscapers for your tank.

2. They can be an excellent food source for your larger fish if you have any other tanks with larger predatory fish such as Loaches.

3. They are a good indication if you have excess organics or decaying matter in your water. Seeing a ton of these guys in a short amount of time shows that they are finding a ton of food sources in your tank and that you need to step up your maintenance routine.

4. On another note, I have noticed that Bladder Snails, Ramshorn Snails, Pond Snails, and Malaysian Trumpet snails usually multiply rapidly in population at the beginning and then stabilize after some point in your tank once everything is balanced. It is a myth that they will continue to multiply without food sources.

Davidh9054

Yes, that looks like a Bladder Snail to me. They likely hitchhiked on your Frogbit from a month back in the form of snail eggs. Even one viable egg can hatch into a Bladder Snail and it will multiply rapidly with the abundance of food sources in your aquarium.
I hope they don’t overtake my tank. I have been trying so hard not to get any pest snails in my tank. I was going to do a bleach dip on the frogbit but they looked so good I didn’t want to take the chance on ruining them. They had super long roots when I got them. My dwarf gourami has been munching on the roots.:mad:

StarGirl

It is a pond snail. The shell spirals to the right. Solid colored shell. They will get a little bigger than the Bladder snails. ;)

JLAquatics

I hope they don’t overtake my tank. I have been trying so hard not to get any pest snails in my tank. I was going to do a bleach dip on the frogbit but they looked so good I didn’t want to take the chance on ruining them. They had super long roots when I got them. My drawn gourami has been munching on the roots.:mad:
I have added more information in my post, if you would like feel free to refresh the page. I purposely keep these critters in my planted aquariums. I don't bleach dip my aquarium plants either. On another note, feel free to check out the aquarium articles tab here on Fishlore. There are a few good articles on what to do if you find these snails in your tank and how to control their populations more effectively. I wish you success in this endeavor, friend.

Davidh9054

It is a pond snail. The shell spirals to the right. Solid colored shell. They will get a little bigger than the Bladder snails. ;)
Should I try and get rid of it? Will they overtake my tank? I have a super overly stocked tank and am afraid that it will reproduce like crazy. Even though a maintain my tank pretty good.

StarGirl

Should I try and get rid of it? Will they overtake my tank? I have a super overly stocked tank and am afraid that it will reproduce like crazy. Even though a maintain my tank pretty good.
They are the same as any other pest snail. They will overpopulate if over fed. They will even out when the food diminishes.

JLAquatics

Yeah, I just realized this. Thank you for pointing that out to us, Stargirl. However, Pond Snails and Bladder Snails are very similar in that they will populate until food sources run out in which case they will level out in population. Pond Snails just grow a bit bigger than Bladder Snails.

Davidh9054

They are the same as any other pest snail. They will overpopulate if over fed. They will even out when the food diminishes.
Luckily I have only seen this one up till now. Fingers crossed I won’t see anymore.
T
I have added more information in my post, if you would like feel free to refresh the page. I purposely keep these critters in my planted aquariums. I don't bleach dip my aquarium plants either. On another note, feel free to check out the aquarium articles tab here on Fishlore. There are a few good articles on what to do if you find these snails in your tank and how to control their populations more effectively. I wish you success in this endeavor, friend.
Thanks I read it over now I will probably just leave it be for the time being. I will see how everything goes and if I start seeing to more I will read up on how to remedy the issue.
Just kind of frustrating I have tried to so hard in the past year of adding plants and stuff to make sure I get no pest snails in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views