Status
Not open for further replies.

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
image.jpg.

Tank is fairly new, around 30 hours set up, someone told me I had a bacterial bloom, I'd like if someone confirmed this for me thanks! Running a damsel cycle (don't hate)

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the post above. Did your rinse your sand before adding to tank ?

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was a none rinse sand at is still cloudy, how long can this take?

Fishy Friends

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It was a none rinse sand at is still cloudy, how long can this take?
Hi & welcome to Fishlore! I am sorry to tell you there is no such thing IMO as no rinse sand. Only some sands that don't require quite as much rinsing.
We have sand in a 55gal, 38gal, & now a 180gal. Lots of different brands - unfortunately as our water bill indicates - they all required lots of rinsing. I realize this doesn't help you now - hopefully it will settle soon.

You will need to be careful when adding water for water changes. Either pour your water unto a large rock, piece of driftwood or place a bowl in your tank - pour the water & remove.

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ohh, and any idea how long this may take? This has never happened before and I used a pump to put it in tank. Pump and a poured it onto rocks

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try removing your cycle fish for a bit, stirring the sand up well, and immediately siphoning the cloudy water off.
Not washing sand or gravel is like a shortcut that adds hours to your trip-------rick

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was dry sand that was rinsed, and I have dry rock so I added some quick start, could that be it?

Dirtman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dry sand requires waaaay more rinsing than live sand. It took me over 4 hours to rinse 80 pounds of Caribsea seaflor special grade dry sand which isn't even a fine sand and after that it still took 3-4 days for the water to clear up.

Just keep your flow high and use a filter sock or other mechanical media and rinse it often. It will clear on its own.

I also suggest getting at least a small piece of cured live rock, the quick start and other bacterial additives aren't enough to seed your tank in my opinion. They don't contain nearly the quantity or diversity of bacteria colonies you'll get from good live rock.

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The large brown rock was my only live rock from my year old reef tank. And alright thanks for the tips!

reeftofish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank has cleared, thanks guys appreciated the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom