Is This A Baby Shrimp?!?!?

ShellyB78

I have recently become a cherry shrimp enthusiast and I have 6 red cherry shrimp and 7 yellows. I bought them all as juveniles and they’ve doubled in size since then. I just saw something tiny and bright yellow shooting across the tank! I saw it about 2 wks ago but I couldn’t get a clear picture as it was tiny and a guppy tried to eat it and it dashed behind a plant and I didn’t see it again until today. Is this a baby yellow shrimp or a parasite? There’s only 1 so that’s why I’m unsure as shrimp don’t just have one. It won’t stay still for long enough to get a clear enough picture and I’m long sighted so can’t see it lol

Attachments

• 1423E834-6D38-427D-894A-FF57FB68904A.jpeg
    1423E834-6D38-427D-894A-FF57FB68904A.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 131
  • BC7AECF7-9E9E-4A07-8C0B-D25CFF6FD3C1.jpeg
    BC7AECF7-9E9E-4A07-8C0B-D25CFF6FD3C1.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 128
  • B4FC128A-8525-40B1-9063-8FB9B9B06523.jpeg
    B4FC128A-8525-40B1-9063-8FB9B9B06523.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 125
  • BB020628-42D2-4BBD-BBCE-F9FABC837E0B.jpeg
    BB020628-42D2-4BBD-BBCE-F9FABC837E0B.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 120

MissNoodle

Looks like a scud, which is a type of shrimp but stays tiny like that.

Theyre healthy to have around, good cleaners and make great live food for fish. I'm trying to raise them myself for live food lol

Probably came in with some plants. If you watch it, it probably swims on its side, doesn't it? Neat little things

ShellyB78

Looks like a scud, which is a type of shrimp but stays tiny like that.

Theyre healthy to have around, good cleaners and make great live food for fish. I'm trying to raise them myself for live food lol

Probably came in with some plants. If you watch it, it probably swims on its side, doesn't it? Neat little things
Awww bummer I thought I had my first baby shrimp. But yeah I did noticed from what I can see it doesn’t have the tail of the larger shrimp, it seems to be shorter. Oh well at least I know what it is. It is kinda cute it’s so tiny. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

richiep

Its so easy to mistake it for a shrimp I had to look twice and even then wasn't that sure until NoodleKeeper pointed it out, the other give away is you young shrimp won't shoot across the tank

ShellyB78

Its so easy to mistake it for a shrimp I had to look twice and even then wasn't that sure until NoodleKeeper pointed it out, the other give away is you young shrimp won't shoot across the tank
Oh really? Are baby shrimp slow moving? I haven’t had any babies yet so I’m completely new to this. That one is super fast, it barely stays still for long. It confused me. Mine are still quite young but colouring up nicely. The older red one is my last one out of my first 4. I’m hoping she survives a good while yet, she’s beautiful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 226

richiep

That first shrimp is nice but as what's called scutariella you can see it in between the eyes, it's not a killer and if you want to get rid of it you need Aquarium salt, salt bath
Shrimp walk normally forward but to get out of trouble or when frightened they propell themselves backwards very fast but in short burst a few inches
Edit take the centre out of the cucumber they won't eat it and will only pollute your water when it breaks up

ShellyB78

A
That first shrimp is nice but as what's called scutariella you can see it in between the eyes, it's not a killer and if you want to get rid of it you need Aquarium salt, salt bath
Shrimp walk normally forward but to get out of trouble or when frightened the propeller themselves backwards very fast but in short burst a few inches
Are you referring to the small tiny scud one? I don’t mind keeping it if it’s not going to harm anything. It’s kinda cute

richiep

I've marked them for you

Attachments

• 20190828_105916.jpg
    20190828_105916.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 79

ShellyB78

Shrimp walk normally forward but to get out of trouble or when frightened the propeller themselves backwards very fast but in short burst a few inches
Edit take the centre out of the cucumber they won't eat it and will only pollute your water when it breaks up
Oh I didn’t know that about the cucumber thanks for that. Is that the same advice for the one in my bigger tank for the plecs?

I've marked them for you
Nooo not my big shrimp??? What’s wrong with her. What exactly is it. She’s my favourite too

richiep

I would take it out even for the plecs I found my plec preferred the skin

Scutariella are parasites not harmful to fish and live happily with shrimp but can become unsightly

ShellyB78

Scutariella are parasites not harmful to fish and live happily with shrimp but can become unsightly
Aw that’s not good. She’s my last adult of the first 4 I got. I hope it doesn’t bother her too much. Too worried to do any treatments incase I kill her or any of my others

I’ve
just read up on it and I see there’s a few different treatments out there. I’ll keep an eye on my others to see if they’re infected. I may get a bottle of treatment as a just incase.

richiep

With shrimp Planaria zero is always a good back up for Planaria, Hydra, and this, there's also a possibility it will kill snails, so just for this Aquarium salt is as good as anything but dond worry to much about them unless they start to cover the body

ShellyB78

With shrimp Planaria zero is always a good back up for Planaria, Hydra, and this, there's also a possibility it will kill snails, so just for this Aquarium salt is as good as anything but dond worry to much about them unless they start to cover the body
I can’t see any on my other shrimp, I just scanned them all. Do you just recommend I treat her then with salt? How often do I dip her? Online says once a day but not for how many days

richiep

It should only take 1 treatment put 1teaspoon of Aquarium salt in a glass/cup fill with tank water,add the shrimp for 40 seconds, remove from cup and straight back into tank

ShellyB78

It should only take 1 treatment put 1teaspoon of Aquarium salt in a glass/cup fill with tank water,add the shrimp for 40 seconds, remove from cup and straight back into tank
Oh that sounds really easy! I’ll go order some aquarium salt then. Thanks so much for your help

Oh that sounds really easy! I’ll go order some aquarium salt then. Thanks so much for your help
Is it possible to use table salt or marine salt?

richiep

No it's got to be Aquarium salt, or you can buy Planaria zero

ShellyB78

No it's got to be Aquarium salt, or you can buy Planaria zero
Right ok. I read table salt without iodine was ok which I have. My fiancé used to have a marine aquarium and has some marine salt. But I’ll go online and buy aquarium salt then. Thanks again

richiep

Tbh I'm not sure about marine salt and yes iodine was a problem but I don't know what else is in yours, choice is yours at the end of the day but I can only advise on what I know

ShellyB78

Tbh I'm not sure about marine salt and yes iodine was a problem but I don't know what else is in yours, choice is yours at the end of the day but I can only advise on what I know
I’ve ordered aquarium salt in a sample bag seems I don’t need much. I appreciate the advice

tjander

Just to add to this, I thought I saw you have guppy’s with your shrimp. If so I found from experience Thant will eat shrimp and will go after shrimp fry very aggressively.
It seems that others on here have kept fish and shrimp together, so you might be ok. I just wanted to warn you based on my experience.

86 ssinit

Hey Shelly! Just seeing this and yes fish do eat shrimplets. If you can remove the fish for a month and see if shrimplets start appearing. I had a fry rainbowfish in my tank for about 3 months. It was growing nicely but I never had shrimplets. Added it to another tank and within a week I had shrimplets. Tank went from ten to a hundred in about a month . Also I use un iodined salt in my tanks.

Richie I’ve never seen a yellow scud. Mine are all brown. In the first group of pics the last pic it almost looks like a shrimp. Also looks the same color as her yellow shrimp. Could it be a shrimp?

richiep

Hey Shelly! Just seeing this and yes fish do eat shrimplets. If you can remove the fish for a month and see if shrimplets start appearing. I had a fry rainbowfish in my tank for about 3 months. It was growing nicely but I never had shrimplets. Added it to another tank and within a week I had shrimplets. Tank went from ten to a hundred in about a month . Also I use un iodined salt in my tanks.

Richie I’ve never seen a yellow scud. Mine are all brown. In the first group of pics the last pic it almost looks like a shrimp. Also looks the same color as her yellow shrimp. Could it be a shrimp?
To be honest that did cross.my mind and I had to look hard at it and you could well be right the fact its moving so fast around even to take s picture swayed it for me, that last picture really dose look like a shrimp and now you've brought it up it's worth another look
ShellyB78 could you give us some more pictures of the UFO as I agree with 86 ssinit its inconclusive

Looking at it again still not sure until I found this and believe it to be a scud

Attachments

• scud.jpg
    scud.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 57

midna

it is a scud, I think the lighting in the photos is just odd. it would be cool if it really was yellow though.

ShellyB78

Just to add to this, I thought I saw you have guppy’s with your shrimp. If so I found from experience Thant will eat shrimp and will go after shrimp fry very aggressively.
It seems that others on here have kept fish and shrimp together, so you might be ok. I just wanted to warn you based on my experience.
Yes I’ve saw one of my guppy’s go after one of my smaller shrimp once. I’ll be moving the 4 guppy’s into our bigger tank soon, But only a cpl at a time as the new filter has just started to fully cycle, so don’t want to add to many to soon and put stress on it. But yes I want this tank to be a shrimp tank only now. Especially as my shrimps are getting older and one possibly has eggs. Thanks for the advice

Oh it is definitely bright yellow trust me! That’s why I thought it was a shrimplet! I have a video of it but it’s too long to upload as files to big. I’ll post all the pictures I got of it. I haven’t seen it today. A guppy tried to eat it so it shot off. Yes I will be removing my guppy’s into the bigger tank and hopefully get some shrimplets appear lol thanks everyone

Attachments

• FBC36C50-C6A1-47EB-BE58-3E65C50CA8E7.jpeg
    FBC36C50-C6A1-47EB-BE58-3E65C50CA8E7.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 55
  • EEA3A429-48F0-4619-AE76-717177EC7989.jpeg
    EEA3A429-48F0-4619-AE76-717177EC7989.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 74CE9372-A303-4942-892E-7CEB3133B80D.jpeg
    74CE9372-A303-4942-892E-7CEB3133B80D.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2ABBD561-E365-4C9C-9A68-B563EBF5A2DE.jpeg
    2ABBD561-E365-4C9C-9A68-B563EBF5A2DE.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 55

richiep

It is a scud, you do realise your red and yellow will cross bread and you'll loose the colours

ShellyB78

It is a scud, you do realise your red and yellow will cross bread and you'll loose the colours
Yes I do it’s ok they’re just for pets. Not selling any. My brother would like some for his smaller tank, but that’s it. I’d like to get some other breeds but they need different parameters so would need another tank and we’ve already got 2 and moving our 5 ft one in soon. So not got the space for another shrimp only tank. I love the crystals and blue rillI ones. I’d like some blue cherry’s but I already have about 7 yellow and 6 reds in the tank and it’s a 38L so pretty much full now.

richiep

Theres plenty of room for a lot more yet

ShellyB78

Theres plenty of room for a lot more yet
Hopefully babies though will come along now ha ha. I am in love with them, I think they’re gorgeous little comical things. So much fun to watch. Is there any other breed that could live with cherry’s in the same parameters? I’ve not researched it too much (not much free time with a toddler lol)

richiep

All neocaradina blue,red,yellow,green,orange,all rilli, but they will revert back to wild brown colour

ShellyB78

Definitelyyy removing my guppy’s into the bigger tank now ha ha! I only had 4 in cycling the tank. It’s completely cycled now so they don’t need to stay there anymore, so I can put them back in the community tank again. Little buggers are probably eating them in hind sight. Time to move back home boys ha ha

All neocaradina blue,red,yellow,green,orange,all rilli, but they will revert back to wild brown colour
Hmmm so no tigers, blue jelly’s etc can live with mine then huh? No other non neocaradinas so they don’t mix breed?

richiep

Jellibeen , blue velvet are neocaradina as well they will live with them

Dch48

I have seen that Guppies will be more likely to go after shrimp if they have been fed with something that resembles them. For instance, frozen brine shrimp. If the Guppy sees something that looks like it's food it will go after it. If they only get flake foods and small pellets, they will be less likely to see the shrimp as dinner. No absolutes here though. Some Guppies will go after anything.

Also, that definitely does look like a scud.

ShellyB78

I have seen that Guppies will be more likely go after shrimp if they have been fed with something that resembles them. For instance, frozen brine shrimp. If the Guppy sees something that looks like it's food it will go after it. If they only get flake foods and small pellets, they will be less likely to see the shrimp as dinner. No absolutes here though. Some Guppies will go after anything.

Also, that definitely does look like a scud.
I have 4 guppies in there, one of them I have seen go after one of my red juveniles when I first got it. I’ve seen the same fish go after the scud twice and tonight the same fish went after one of my yellow shrimp 3 times! It’s to big to eat but yeah, I said to my fiancé that ones getting moved back tomorrow when I turn the lights on. I’ll move them back tomorrow and see if anything happens shrimplet wise. Yeah looks like a scud now I look at the pictures more. That’s fine it’s cute and fine to stay in my tank.

Jellibeen , blue velvet are neocaradina as well they will live with them
Great thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
  • Question
Replies
Views