Is This A Baby Mystery Snail? Question 

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so I just put together a shrimp tank, I had a mystery snail in quarantine for a couple months, then I had ordered some plants online and rinsed those out thoroughly and put them in a separate quarantine container also for a few months. just rinsed them off again last week and added the plants and mystery snail to the shrimp tank. now it's been a week and it looks like there is two baby snails in there so far. Does this microscopic thing look like a mystery snail or is it something invasive? I wouldn't mind another mystery for my other tank but if these are the kind that procreate like crazy I do not want.
20190714_123729.jpg

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since you recently introduced the plants and they showed up, then they're most likely a pest snail. It would help if you got a picture of it's shell to help identify it.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
Since you recently introduced the plants and they showed up, then they're most likely a pest snail. It would help if you got a picture of it's shell to help identify it.
they look kinda circular, if theyre pests should I just try to remove them they are about the size of a grain or two of sand
20190714_131433.jpg
20190714_131402.jpg

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like a ramshorn snail - they can reproduce quickly if there's lots of food available. I like to keep them in my tanks and really like the different varieties you can get. As long as you don't mind getting more of them its safe to keep them.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks to be a ramshorn snail. It really depends on the individual whether they're a pest or pet. You could try removing them.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LMO said:
Looks like a ramshorn snail - they can reproduce quickly if there's lots of food available. I like to keep them in my tanks and really like the different varieties you can get. As long as you don't mind getting more of them its safe to keep them.
Its only a 5 gallon so I definitely do not want more than the two of them. maybe I'll see if they grow up and split them up my other tank could use another algae eater.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Repolie said:
It looks to be a ramshorn snail. It really depends on the individual whether they're a pest or pet. You could try removing them.
I'm thinking it over they're so tiny right now they're not bothering anyone yet. I'm surprised to see them in here after the plants were in quarantine and I hadn't seen any in the other tank.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
looks like ramshorn, maybe a pink one.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From what I've read, these will procreate like crazy (which sounds like you're trying to avoid?) and I believe these are the kind of snails that can impregnate themselves. I just found a tiny one in my tank today too and I got rid of it. Just be aware that will happen if you allow them to stay.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
K8lin said:
so I just put together a shrimp tank, I had a mystery snail in quarantine for a couple months, then I had ordered some plants online and rinsed those out thoroughly and put them in a separate quarantine container also for a few months. just rinsed them off again last week and added the plants and mystery snail to the shrimp tank. now it's been a week and it looks like there is two baby snails in there so far. Does this microscopic thing look like a mystery snail or is it something invasive? I wouldn't mind another mystery for my other tank but if these are the kind that procreate like crazy I do not want.
20190714_123729.jpg
updating on the snail situation, since I've seen the one just a few months ago there are now hundreds which I hand pick out every time I clean the tank. I have two other snails in there, nano ember tetras and blue velvet shrimp. is there an easier way to get rid? I was ok with a couple hitchhikers but they want this tank for themselves.
20190828_201506.jpg

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've heard of people using the older pennies (which are copper) in their tanks. Copper kills snails so you'd have to remove the ones you want to keep.

API also sells a Copper test so if you wanted to make sure all of the copper was out of the water, you could use that to test before putting your favorites back.

Just a thought.

I'm dealing with that same issue, myself. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing since I already have the copper test.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LHanna61 said:
I've heard of people using the older pennies (which are copper) in their tanks. Copper kills snails so you'd have to remove the ones you want to keep.

API also sells a Copper test so if you wanted to make sure all of the copper was out of the water, you could use that to test before putting your favorites back.

Just a thought.

I'm dealing with that same issue, myself. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing since I already have the copper test.
that sounds easy and not too harmful

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

TalulahMae

Reaction score
Absolutely do not put copper in your tank as it kills shrimp too, and you will most likely never be able to put shrimp in it again.

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
K8lin said:
what would I do with it after it eats all of them?
Give it back to the place you got it from. Or make a separate tank or bin to grow more pest snails.

K8lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FeederGuppies said:
Give it back to the place you got it from. Or make a separate tank or bin to grow more pest snails.
would it eat my shrimp?

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
K8lin said:
would it eat my shrimp?
Only if it doesn't have anything else to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom