Is This A Baby Mystery Snail? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by K8lin, Jul 14, 2019.

1. K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

so I just put together a shrimp tank, I had a mystery snail in quarantine for a couple months, then I had ordered some plants online and rinsed those out thoroughly and put them in a separate quarantine container also for a few months. just rinsed them off again last week and added the plants and mystery snail to the shrimp tank. now it's been a week and it looks like there is two baby snails in there so far. Does this microscopic thing look like a mystery snail or is it something invasive? I wouldn't mind another mystery for my other tank but if these are the kind that procreate like crazy I do not want. 20190714_123729.jpg

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Since you recently introduced the plants and they showed up, then they're most likely a pest snail. It would help if you got a picture of it's shell to help identify it.

3. OP
    OP
    K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

they look kinda circular, if theyre pests should I just try to remove them they are about the size of a grain or two of sand20190714_131433.jpg20190714_131402.jpg

4. LMO

LMOValued MemberMember

Looks like a ramshorn snail - they can reproduce quickly if there's lots of food available. I like to keep them in my tanks and really like the different varieties you can get. As long as you don't mind getting more of them its safe to keep them.

5. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

It looks to be a ramshorn snail. It really depends on the individual whether they're a pest or pet. You could try removing them.

6. OP
    OP
    K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

Its only a 5 gallon so I definitely do not want more than the two of them. maybe I'll see if they grow up and split them up my other tank could use another algae eater.

7. OP
    OP
    K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

I'm thinking it over they're so tiny right now they're not bothering anyone yet. I'm surprised to see them in here after the plants were in quarantine and I hadn't seen any in the other tank.

8. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

looks like ramshorn, maybe a pink one.

9. LHanna61

LHanna61Valued MemberMember

From what I've read, these will procreate like crazy (which sounds like you're trying to avoid?) and I believe these are the kind of snails that can impregnate themselves. I just found a tiny one in my tank today too and I got rid of it. Just be aware that will happen if you allow them to stay.