Question Is this 29 gallon stocking idea possible?

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
I am planning to get a 29 gallon tank for my birthday and want to know whether this variety of fish will fit and be compatible in my tank.

6 Cory Catfish
6 -12 Neon Tetras or 6 Guppies
2-3 Angelfish

I will introduce the Angelfish when the corries and tetras/guppies are fully grown. The angelfish will be young, I am hoping that it will prevent the Angelfish eating the tetras or guppies when they are fully grown. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thank You!

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I personally think the stocking is fine, minus 1 or 2 angelfish... Maybe substitute them with a different, larger centerpiece type?

You have a south american theme going on here, Do you plan to buffer your PH by adding driftwoods/tannins to mimic a south american scape? Your profile say's beginner, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend some of these to a beginner normally, but if you plan to look into your PH and create a natural scape, than you could attempt to keep a pair of rams (you could do this regardless, but they can be very finicky and hard to keep outside of their preferred PH range), You could also try apistogramma, although those are going up the 'difficulty' ladder. (the more common, captive bred species are a little hardier than others). If you're willing to break that south american theme you've got going, you could try a gourami or a paradise fish? (that're native to asia, not south america). and, while we're breaking things...Kribensis are west african dwarf cichlids, they max out at around 3-4 Inches in length and are not very aggressive (they'll defend territory if you have a breeding pair). Last idea would be killifish, most are native to florida gulfs and the gulf of mexico area, they can be a bit nippy but they're a small/medium sized livebearer that are somewhat rare but have gorgeous color if you can find the right ones. None of these may be 'great' recommendations, but I'm just trying to give you additional options the think about if you're not already aware of them. Angels are gorgeous, my personal favorite. :).

You absolutely CAN add 3 angels to a 29G, they will fit. But when they're full grown, they may be nippy with each other over territory. Additionally, full grown angels are tall, and although the 29G is a higher tank, I'm not sure their will be comfortable space for 3 of them long term. They very well could do just fine, but I think you'd have more success keeping just one.

EDIT: don't settle on your cory cat species. Find the species type you like and search for it. Cories are awesome, some of them are much more striking than others and when you find that species pattern that you love, don't settle for the albino or the greens. Sterbais are pretty and quite common, Panda's are highly sought after, and longfin (trait bred into some cory species) corydora would accent the angel in your tank nicely.
...They're quite dirty, and wouldn't serve much of a purpose other than munching on your driftwood all day, but longfin bristlenose pleco also have a real flow-y look to them and are south american naturally. Just spit-ballin ideas.

PS, this is just my opinion - I used to have 3 angels together in a 45G, they were okay until two paired off and they all came down with (I think water quality induced) bacterial infections. just my 2 cents.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl38 said:
I personally think the stocking is fine, minus 1 or 2 angelfish... Maybe substitute them with a different, larger centerpiece type?

You have a south american theme going on here, Do you plan to buffer your PH by adding driftwoods/tannins to mimic a south american scape? Your profile say's beginner, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend some of these to a beginner normally, but if you plan to look into your PH and create a natural scape, than you could attempt to keep a pair of rams (you could do this regardless, but they can be very finicky and hard to keep outside of their preferred PH range), You could also try apistogramma, although those are going up the 'difficulty' ladder. (the more common, captive bred species are a little hardier than others). If you're willing to break that south american theme you've got going, you could try a gourami or a paradise fish? (that're native to asia, not south america). and, while we're breaking things...Kribensis are west african dwarf cichlids, they max out at around 3-4 Inches in length and are not very aggressive (they'll defend territory if you have a breeding pair). Last idea would be killifish, most are native to florida gulfs and the gulf of mexico area, they can be a bit nippy but they're a small/medium sized livebearer that are somewhat rare but have gorgeous color if you can find the right ones. None of these may be 'great' recommendations, but I'm just trying to give you additional options the think about if you're not already aware of them. Angels are gorgeous, my personal favorite. :).

You absolutely CAN add 3 angels to a 29G, they will fit. But when they're full grown, they may be nippy with each other over territory. Additionally, full grown angels are tall, and although the 29G is a higher tank, I'm not sure their will be comfortable space for 3 of them long term. They very well could do just fine, but I think you'd have more success keeping just one.

EDIT: don't settle on your cory cat species. Find the species type you like and search for it. Cories are awesome, some of them are much more striking than others and when you find that species pattern that you love, don't settle for the albino or the greens. Sterbais are pretty and quite common, Panda's are highly sought after, and longfin (trait bred into some cory species) corydora would accent the angel in your tank nicely.
...They're quite dirty, and wouldn't serve much of a purpose other than munching on your driftwood all day, but longfin bristlenose pleco also have a real flow-y look to them and are south american naturally. Just spit-ballin ideas.

PS, this is just my opinion - I used to have 3 angels together in a 45G, they were okay until two paired off and they all came down with (I think water quality induced) bacterial infections. just my 2 cents.
These are good recommendations. Only one thing, killifish are not all livebearers, most are egg layers and also a lot if them come from africa not fitting your SA theme. They are stll great fish though and i recommend some!

New Threads