Is Thi Ich?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by 707, Apr 21, 2017.

1. 707

707New MemberMember

i literally just noticed this-- got home and saw my betta acting odd, swimming twitchy, then i saw the spots on his fins. i can't tell if there are any on his body since he's so light, but i can see them clearly through the fins.

just want to make sure this really is ich before beginning treatment. i have him confined to a smaller area of his tank for observation, and have salt on hand that i can dose. should have a chance to get some meds within the next couple days, but i want to help him immediately if possible.

2. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

Most anti parasitic treatments that treat Ich also treat most other external parasite infections.
    With the exception of gill Flukes.

So if you're not sure what it is you could do the heat treatment first since Bettas are quite tolerant of higher temps.

3. OP
    OP

707New MemberMember

thank you for the response, i appreciate it. i will begin heat treatment asap.

4. Cycerath

CycerathValued MemberMember

it's definally hard to tell because of the translucent color, but the spacing between the cysts makes me lean towards ich. ich spots are usually evenly spaced apart.
    there's another spot disease (Lymphocystis) that kind of looks like ich but it forms in clusters. so i don't think it's that.
    sometimes using a wide net like heat treatment/salt is just the safe way to go. always better to try something rather than nothing.
    just a note, when doing heat treatment it'll get worse on the 2nd or 3rd day and by the 4th or 5th it shouldn't be visible on the fish anymore. i got super worried on that 2nd/3rd day that it wasn't working but keep with the treatment.

5. OP
    OP

707New MemberMember

thank you so much for letting me know about that, i would have worried a lot too! i had to order a new heater to be able to get the temps up at the proper increments, so i'm dosing salt for now; hoping it at least gives him some comfort, but i'll get the heat going as soon as i can.

6. ally_01

ally_01Valued MemberMember

huum im not to sure but when i had white spot on my tetras and mollys i used Interpet Treatment Anti White Spot, 100 ml i highly recommend it as it went with in about 3 days how ever what your fish has is hard to see get better soon fishy, tbh im treating my fighter with finrot and its hard work

7. OP
    OP

707New MemberMember

Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely remember that! I do believe my boy had ich, and it actually lead to tail biting as well (I assume due to the itchiness?) Thankfully 3 days of salt bath healed up the injuries, and he's feeling much better now. I'm continuing the heat treatment for about one more week as well to be certain.

Good luck with your baby, I hope they heal up well ;; I had a boy with chronic fin rot before; it really is tough. Salt baths seem to always do the trick, but I've used medicated food as well.

8. ally_01

ally_01Valued MemberMember

i hope so he is in a bad way at the moment

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017