Question Is there's A way to get rid of fish waste without vacuuming ?

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there's A way to get rid of fish waste without vacuuming?

wishuponafish

Reaction score
Suck it out with a turkey baster, sift it out if you have sand, pick it up manually, blow it toward your filter intake so it gets sucked up, etc.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wishuponafish said:
Suck it out with a turkey baster, strain it out if you have sand, pick it up manually, blow it toward your filter intake so it gets sucked up, etc.
I have Planted Carpet and it's going to take a while using Turkey baster. I got 30 Gal aquarium , btw thanks for the advice

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
wishuponafish said:
Suck it out with a turkey baster, sift it out if you have sand, pick it up manually, blow it toward your filter intake so it gets sucked up, etc.

yep simply betta on you tube taught me that trick

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
No? Not that I can think of.
I go to the store and ask the same question. They said they have some kind of biological liquid that going to get rid of the waste, but I need to remove my fish first and wait till 12 hour before adding the fish back. And I dont have a place to hold the fish for next 12 hour. >.<

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt do anything like that. If you dont want the extra work of a carpet...... dont do it IMO.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ZDFrost said:
I have Planted Carpet and it's going to take a while using Turkey baster. I got 30 Gal aquarium , btw thanks for the advice
Part of my 40 gallon breeder tank is densely planted with water wisteria, and I haven't cleaned the substrate in that area in months.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
I wouldnt do anything like that. If you dont want the extra work of a carpet...... dont do it IMO.
I guess the only opinion is to suck it up huh :blackeye:

JettsPapa said:
Part of my 40 gallon breeder tank is densely planted with water wisteria, and I haven't cleaned the substrate in that area in months.
And the water parameter is fine?

wishuponafish

Reaction score
ZDFrost said:
I go to the store and ask the same question. They said they have some kind of biological liquid that going to get rid of the waste, but I need to remove my fish first and wait till 12 hour before adding the fish back. And I dont have a place to hold the fish for next 12 hour. >.<
That sounds like a bad idea, I wouldn't do it if I were you.

You can work on it slowly, cleaning up a part of the tank each time you water change, and if your substrate isn't too messy, you can gently squirt water with a turkey baster to stir up the waste into the water and suck it out.

The plants will also use the waste as nutrients so you don't need to worry too much about keeping it clean if it's heavily planted.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah I only lightly vacuum in the areas my plants are. I vacuum a lot where there are open spaces. Move rocks that I can Etc.

OP
Z

ZDFrost

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wishuponafish said:
That sounds like a bad idea, I wouldn't do it if I were you.

You can work on it slowly, cleaning up a part of the tank each time you water change, and if your substrate isn't too messy, you can gently squirt water with a turkey baster to stir up the waste into the water and suck it out.

The plants will also use the waste as nutrients so you don't need to worry too much about keeping it clean if it's heavily planted.
Oh, okay thank you ^-^

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I lightly 'tickle' my small and carpeting plants with a very small siphon and the movement amongst the plants (providing they are well established) is enough to get most of the surface gunk up :)
You can use air line instead too, but it is tedious. It shouldn't need deep cleaning around plants.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a airtube hooked to a skewer that I use like a suction pen in my 5 gallon works pretty good.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I built a minI vacuum out of a straw and airline tubing for this. It works ok, it tends to get clogged pretty easily. Between this and using a pippette to blow water over the small plants and vacuuming up what floats out.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
ZDFrost said:
um, no. lol

Try Pristine by Seachem that helps breakdown waste.

My silver dollar fish are in an unplanted tank ( they are vegan piranhas and decimate plants in hours! )

I vacuum but also dose with Pristine because it's a 36 bow front and hard to clean as they hide in an corner and will jump out of tank if too scared. I let them sit in their hide away corner and don't vacuum too closely because they will panick & get hurt if I'm not careful.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom