Is there supposed to be water in tubing?

Missy97128

Is there supposed to be water trickling down into my airline tubing? I have a check valve and also an adjustable air flow valve. The water is trickling into the second half of the airline after the check valve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 4

StarGirl

No its not.....I would get a new check valve. Make sure you have a drip loop. Are you turning the pump off? What is that tube running?

Missy97128

I’m not turning the pump off, just when I change the water. I have an airstone at the end

StarGirl

Is the airstone at the bottom or top of the tank? Is the water going past the check valve? Something is wrong you shouldnt have water in the tubes.

Missy97128

The airstone is at the bottom of tank. No water is getting past the check valve
I have the tubing about 5inches from the pump, then the airflow adjustment valve, then about 4inches of tubing and then the check valve

StarGirl

Maybe try a new airstone. It really shouldn't syphon water, but there is a reason why they say to install a check valve... ;)

Missy97128

It’s a brand new airstone. Should I have the check valve before or after the control valve?

Blacksheep1

I’m not going to lie about this , I didn’t know which way the check valves went at first ! I’ve decided the best course of action is to never turn them off , even through water changes. Label each plug so you know which is the lights/ heater/ air pump etc… it just makes life easier. You don’t have to deal with it siphoning back into pumps or unplugging the wrong thing .

Flyfisha

It’s possible that is just condensation?

Or when you write “ tricking down “ do you mean more than a couple of the same drops spitting up and down?

Missy97128

The water beads are going up and down.
I just want to know in what order do I place the check valve and the control valve

Flyfisha

Up and down sounds like a little condensation then.

The check valve can be placed anywhere however if you are not supergluing the join’s then having the check valve at the first join out of the water means if any connections come undone the check valve will stop water unless it’s the connection on the check valve itself.

RonP

This may seem self evident, but if the pump is elevated above the tank..it cannot syphon.

Blacksheep1

This may seem self evident, but if the pump is elevated above the tank..it cannot syphon.
I agree with this but heck they are loud on top of a tank ! Or even a shelf . Mines on three cloths just to dampen that buzz.

I still couldn’t tell you which way round they go even though I’ve got one on myself. I just put it on and hoped for the best thinking if it was the wrong way round I’d soon find out. That’s really not helpful I know but it’s all I’ve got :)

StarGirl

I agree with this but heck they are loud on top of a tank ! Or even a shelf . Mines on three cloths just to dampen that buzz.

I still couldn’t tell you which way round they go even though I’ve got one on myself. I just put it on and hoped for the best thinking if it was the wrong way round I’d soon find out. That’s really not helpful I know but it’s all I’ve got :)
I have mine under the stand hanging on a push pin so it isn't touching anything, not even the cord. This is the quietest thing I have found. Some are just loud regardless. ;) If you dont have a open back stand I guess it doesnt matter.

RonP

Buy a cheap sponge. Place pump on sponge. No noise problem

Missy97128

Well I think I might have solved it.
I replaced the check valve with another I had around and switched the flow valve and check valve. So now it’s pump, check valve, flow valve, air stone

Blacksheep1

I have mine under the stand hanging on a push pin so it isn't touching anything, not even the cord. This is the quietest thing I have found. Some are just loud regardless. ;) If you dont have a open back stand I guess it doesnt matter.
When the line gets slightly nudged by a fish and it touches the lid it’s soooooo loud !! I do have an open backed stand so this is fully an option for me.
Buy a cheap sponge. Place pump on sponge. No noise problem
I tried a sponge but with kids and dogs and chaos it gets knocked off the sponge and leans against the wood which is just like a woodpecker in my brain.

Sorry op, the thread de railed a little. If I get any back wash I just take it off the pump and blow like mad until it’s all gone and I feel light headed then pop it back on the pump quickly. I do the same after drip acclimating but from the other end so the pipes don’t go mouldy .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheBettaSushi
  • Question
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
Georgie Girl
Replies