Is there such thing as too much Prime? Question 

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been losing my fish(well lost a goby today and 4 molly fry last week) within a day of doing a water change. I use very little Prime as it is a 10 gallon tank but I think it is more than the recommended amount of 1mL per 10 gallons(I may have added 15-20mL). I add the Prime to the pot while filling with new water. If it is more than one pot(usually a pot is about 35-40% of my water in a 10 gallon) Prime is added in the first full batch.

I am not losing everyone in the tank however. The water changes so far have stuck to only one type of fish each time(first was mollies only and this time a bumblebee goby). Guppy fry,adult guppy(recovering from injury),CAE,black skirt tetra, and male black molly(recovering from injury in main tank from brutal dalmatian male in community tank that was courting his Mrs.) are all fine to my knowledge. I chacked the numbers today just to be sure and I was:

pH-7.8
ammonia-.25(think it was due to dead goby)
nitrites-0
nitrates- between 10-20
Temps-78-80F

Sorry I tend to babble on but just making sure I'm covering all the bases lol.

So.....too much Prime have a possibility of being fatal?

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There is definitely such thing as too much. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. Good luck, sorry for your losses.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Considering what Prime does, I don't see how adding too much would kill off fish. Now, I'm not referring to dumping a gallon into a 10 gallon tank, that would be silly.

For my 29 gallon and 38g, I always add a full cap which does 50 gallon and I never have a issue.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You are able to safely dose 5x the normal amt (as stated on the bottle). You can over condition the water for sure.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mosin360 said:
Considering what Prime does, I don't see how adding too much would kill off fish.
Prime is a reducing agent, and as such, a large enough quantity could deplete oxygen levels in the water. It would take quite a bit to make that happen, but it is possible.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mathas said:
Prime is a reducing agent, and as such, a large enough quantity could deplete oxygen levels in the water. It would take quite a bit to make that happen, but it is possible.
That's why I gave the example of adding a gallon in a 10 gallon tank.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
many aquarist add the amount of prime that would treat the entire tank when they do a water change, not just the amount of the new water being added, this would not hurt your fish

Beverly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have been adding sufficient for the whole tank whilst doing water exchanges but I have very heavily chlorinated water, haven't had a problem with this and have been doing it for two years

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads