Is There Such Thing As Too Many Plants?

Barch

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon high aquarium with 15 total fish in it mostly all tetras and one bristlenose pleco. It has a small (maybe 12inch) Nicrew LED light which goes vertical to the tank and not all the way across via horizontally, ALTHOUGH I PLAN TO UPGRADE SOON.

Right now I have a bunch of Java ferns, anubias, and I was wondering if I can just add a bunch more Java ferns, anubias and Water Wistra without having to do CO2 injections or fertilizer? I will buy the root tabs and put a couple of those in my gravel but other than that should I be fine with the setup I have?

My Java ferns are already sprouting a bunch new leaves and thriving, but I also seem to have a lot of hair algae on my plants is this okay or should I remove it?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unless your fish run out of space to swim, too many plants isn't usually an issue. Heavy, dense plantloads are great for fish; I had a 46 gallon so packed with plants that in order to feed my fish I had to part the plants on the surface like curtains.

If you're getting hair algae, try the following:
-add more fast growing live plants
-feed once every other day instead of everyday
-cut lighting back to 6 hours a day
-do 50% water changes once per week
-list your fish stock so we can tell you if you're overstocked, which can cause algae

OP
Barch

Barch

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Unless your fish run out of space to swim, too many plants isn't usually an issue. Heavy, dense plantloads are great for fish; I had a 46 gallon so packed with plants that in order to feed my fish I had to part the plants on the surface like curtains.

If you're getting hair algae, try the following:
-add more fast growing live plants
-feed once every other day instead of everyday
-cut lighting back to 6 hours a day
-do 50% water changes once per week
-list your fish stock so we can tell you if you're overstocked, which can cause algae
5 long fin tetras
2 separe tetras (did I spell that right? Small orange ones)
7 neons
1 bristlenose

I do 50% weekly (will be doing it today), and I do a full on good gravel vac at the same time, scrub glass clean, rinse out biomedia sponges (in old tank water), etc.

I just moved the java ferns under direct light last week maybe that's why the hair alge all of a sudden, I'll rearrange it today.

Just now on my lunch break I bought some tall grass (forget name), more java ferns, more water wistera, got a couple Amazon swords too. It's in the water bag in my car and once I get home and do my cleanings and aquascape I'll post pics tonight for yall

Ps I have a 5.5 and a 10 gallon with just java ferns, a small water wistera, and luffa balls for my bettas

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most people think that the cause of hair algae is an excess of nutrients and too much light. Sometimes, this is true, sometimes that is not the case at all. Hair algae can survive in water that is almost completely void of nutrients, and in very low light.

For your tank, I'd recommend to start dosing Thrive by NilocG (It's an all in one liquid fert). Keep up with the water changes and add the root tabs. I'd keep the lighting the same. Adding more fast growing plants (like anacharis, hornwort, water wisteria) is essential to preventing hair algae.

OP
Barch

Barch

Reaction score
Koiman said:
Most people think that the cause of hair algae is an excess of nutrients and too much light. Sometimes, this is true, sometimes that is not the case at all. Hair algae can survive in water that is almost completely void of nutrients, and in very low light.

For your tank, I'd recommend to start dosing Thrive by NilocG (It's an all in one liquid fert). Keep up with the water changes and add the root tabs. I'd keep the lighting the same. Adding more fast growing plants (like anacharis, hornwort, water wisteria) is essential to preventing hair algae.
Thanks. I got the root tabs and put 2 in my tank, one near Amazon swords and one near this tall grass I got. Pics of my tank 20180929_171404.jpg 20180929_165542.jpg 20180929_165558.jpg
20180929_180809.jpg
20180929_180402.jpg

Attachments

Kalyke

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
you have lots of spare room for plants in that 20. But you should also remember that the plants that you have will grow bigger, and wider eventually.

HairyCatFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Beautiful tanks you have.. And yes I would add more plants.. I'm not sure if Water Wisteria grows as fast as my Water Sprite does, but let me tell you if it does it will spread and fill out your tanks like a weed.
I love it, I started out with 3 in my 10 gallon and it's grown so fast I was able to cut & transplant some to my 20 gallon. And it filled that so I cut and transplanted some more to both of my 5 gallons and now they're filled in too.
Every couple of weeks I go in and prune handfuls of it just so my fish can swim and go food can get down to them.
As far as algae I cannot grow it fast enough since all my tanks have either shrimp or snail's or both. Let's just say they are extremely well fed and happy and my tanks are kept spotless thanks to them.

Kalyke

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BettaBarch said:
Right now I have a bunch of Java ferns, anubias, and I was wondering if I can just add a bunch more Java ferns, anubias and Water Wistra without having to do CO2 injections or fertilizer? I will buy the root tabs and put a couple of those in my gravel but other than that should I be fine with the setup I have?

My Java ferns are already sprouting a bunch new leaves and thriving, but I also seem to have a lot of hair algae on my plants is this okay or should I remove it?
Another plant I found to be no trouble at all in a low tech tank is the ozelot sword (an Amazon Sword), which is lt green with purple spots, Echinodorus Marble Queen (Amazon sword with white pattern). Another plant that does quite well is dwarf red lily, and red tiger lotus. I used to have bolbitis, but it tended to get loads of algae and I did not like the look. Thicker leaves do not clog up with algae as much as thin "feathery" leaves.

A tip about the lighting: It does not need to be an "aquarium" light. I'm just saying, in case you think you need to upgrade to even more expensive lights (and aquarium lights can be expensive). I have just been introduced to the concept of cheap shop lights. Also those lights people use in barns. Just put blue/red grow lights in some, and regular white lights in another and use them together. You can hang them from the ceiling (if you own the house, or a stand of some kind, like a shelving unit). This really raises par. All that really matters is what bulb you put in them. This can save you loads of money. Lastly, putting your tank near a window also raises the light levels. Mine gets a few hours of direct sunlight per day. The problem with high light tanks is the balance between growing the plant or growing the algae. Even the moderate light tanks get algae.

The algae is food for many fish. Shrimp like it, baby fish love it. The best algae eaters I have found so far are nerite snails. They are quite pretty and don't breed in a freshwater tank, so they are a very nice tank purchase.

oldsalt777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Barch said:
I have a 20 gallon high aquarium with 15 total fish in it mostly all tetras and one bristlenose pleco. It has a small (maybe 12inch) Nicrew LED light which goes vertical to the tank and not all the way across via horizontally, ALTHOUGH I PLAN TO UPGRADE SOON.

Hello Bar...

The more plants, the better. As long as the fish have room to swim, I have as many plants in the tank as possible. The fertilizers the fish produce is all most plants need to be healthy. Just feed the fish a balanced diet and the plants will be fine. Root tabs are fine, but they will add to the nitrogen levels in the tank water. Make sure you're keeping the water clean with large, weekly water changes, this will remove the nitrogen the plants don't use.

Algae is a good thing. It's one of the best natural water filters you can have and a healthy supplement to your fishes' diet. Above all, change a lot of tank water and do it weekly and you'll have no tank problems.

Old

Kathryn Crook

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Barch said:
Thanks. I got the root tabs and put 2 in my tank, one near Amazon swords and one near this tall grass I got. Pics of my tank20180929_180809.jpg 20180929_171404.jpg 20180929_165542.jpg 20180929_165558.jpg
20180929_180809.jpg
20180929_180402.jpg
20180929_171404.jpg
20180929_165542.jpg
20180929_165558.jpg
s
20180929_171404.jpg
20180929_165542.jpg
20180929_165558.jpg
Wait, you showed a closeup of a java fern root. Do you think that is the hair algae? I'm sorry if I missed something there.

philip884551

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Barch said:
Thanks. I got the root tabs and put 2 in my tank, one near Amazon swords and one near this tall grass I got. Pics of my tank 20180929_171404.jpg 20180929_165542.jpg 20180929_165558.jpg
20180929_180809.jpg
20180929_180402.jpg
That's a new plant growing on your javafern leaf it isn't hair algae

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator