Is there such thing as a food tablet that isn't for betta fish?

Should I buy a feeding tablet?

• Definitely! It's a great idea.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Never! It wouldn't turn out well

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Mary2004lynn
I am going away to Mexico for 2 weeks, but I have no way to feed my guppies. Is there such thing as a food tablet that isn't for betta fish? What should I do?

sfsamm
Keep lights out on your tank and they will likely be fine. Or get well reviewed auto feeder and set it for the lowest possible amount. Do not use feeder blocks, they are not a controlled release and will in all likelihood foul your water and cause issues.

If I had no one to feed a couple times while I was away I would lights out and go. Do a large water change before I left and a large one when I returned. Feed lightly the first few days I was back. I used to leave tanks 5-7 days regularly and never worried about feeding. I've been gone 9-11 without feeding and everyone survived. 14 days I wouldn't like it but realistically if they are healthy they should be alright. And they are guppies so I would assume their fry are going to be a nice snack while you're away and I personally in that case would again not worry. I just leave lights out and ambient room lighting to keep them on a day night schedule and they should be perfectly fine.

TexasDomer
I wouldn't even use an auto feeder they can malfunction and overfeed your tank. Since you can't do water changes, you don't want waste to build up in the tank either.

I've gone on two week trips without feeding my fish and they were fine - no issues. 3 weeks is the longest I've left my fish without feeding or water changes when I went out of town, and they were still fine. I wouldn't go longer than that though.

PlatyKeeper218
fish can go quit a while with out food

HORNET1
I wouldn't want to be a worm around those hungry guppies, but don't worry...

Follow the advice you've been given and they should do just fine.

Attachments

• fish-feeding-frenzy.gif
    fish-feeding-frenzy.gif
    84.7 KB · Views: 98
Mary2004lynn
Keep lights out on your tank and they will likely be fine. Or get well reviewed auto feeder and set it for the lowest possible amount. Do not use feeder blocks, they are not a controlled release and will in all likelihood foul your water and cause issues.

If I had no one to feed a couple times while I was away I would lights out and go. Do a large water change before I left and a large one when I returned. Feed lightly the first few days I was back. I used to leave tanks 5-7 days regularly and never worried about feeding. I've been gone 9-11 without feeding and everyone survived. 14 days I wouldn't like it but realistically if they are healthy they should be alright. And they are guppies so I would assume their fry are going to be a nice snack while you're away and I personally in that case would again not worry. I just leave lights out and ambient room lighting to keep them on a day night schedule and they should be perfectly fine.
Thanks you very much

sfsamm
I wouldn't even use an auto feeder they can malfunction and overfeed your tank. Since you can't do water changes, you don't want waste to build up in the tank either.
That's exactly how I feel about auto feeders and I don't use them myself... I just go do what I am doing and let the fish be its always worked out fine.

Hunter1
And your tank will be clean when you return.

Mary2004lynn
Just an update, we got back today and all of my fish were dead, but there was one baby in the tank that is doing fine. I don't know what happened exactly but here's what I think happened... For one the feeder block did not work at all. A relative came to check on the house about a week ago and said my fish were doing fine, so I think that right after that a fish had her babies. Then I can tell that most of them were eaten when the adults were still alive because there were no dead fry on the floor. Then, for reasons unknown all of the fish died, leaving one surviving fry, they all look like they died about a week ago... Cause of death: unknown

Jenoli42
Just an update, we got back today and all of my fish were dead, but there was one baby in the tank that is doing fine. I don't know what happened exactly but here's what I think happened... For one the feeder block did not work at all. A relative came to check on the house about a week ago and said my fish were doing fine, so I think that right after that a fish had her babies. Then I can tell that most of them were eaten when the adults were still alive because there were no dead fry on the floor. Then, for reasons unknown all of the fish died, leaving one surviving fry, they all look like they died about a week ago... Cause of death: unknown

check your ammonia

Hunter1
Sorry about your losses.

Wonder what parameters were/are, including temperature.

I was gone 9 days last week. Had a co-worker go by and feed all 6 tanks, 2Xs, for me; premeasured food for both feedings (Monday and Friday). I was worried all week that I had put too much in each container I premeasured in.

No losses but high nitrates in 3 tanks.

Did 50% wc the night before I left.

I don’t know what the answer is. A real dilemma for fishkeepers.

sloughdog
Did the feeder block not dissolve/release any food at all? I wonder if the block was stale and basically rotted in the tank releasing ammonia and consuming oxygen in the process.

TexasDomer
Test your water parameters. My first guess would be to blame the feeder block. They are always a bad idea.

Mary2004lynn
I don't have a way to test the water myself, but we have a pool that uses tester strips... Will those work? I know that the problem wasn't the temperature, but I definitely suspect the food block, it only looked like the top layer had fizzed away.

TexasDomer
No, they don't test for the same things. You need to test for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The pool test might have pH, but I'm not sure about the others.

You can get liquid test kits cheaply online (the API freshwater master kit from Ebay or Amazon if you're in the US). Strip tests aren't as accurate and are more expensive per test. You really should have your own though.

In the mean time, I would do daily water changes of at least 50%. Take a sample of your tank water to your LFS and ask them to test it for you. Write down exact readings, don't let them tell you "fine" or "good".

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FBI
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies