Is there such a thinkg as a caring female fighter?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Rmachines, Apr 5, 2010.

1. R

Rmachines New Member Member

I have two female betta fish and it might just be my perception of her but i had a poorly fish in my tank the other day and she just would not leave the fishes side, which is unusual for her as shes usually keeps her self to her self, he wasn't dying or anything, he was just not him self, it seems odd, and yesterday one of my angel fish sadly became very ill and was barely moving and sure enough she was there again, curled her whole body around him and just waited, she wouldn't leave his side, for about two hours she would not move from the fish... he died in the end and i removed him, and she waited where he died and kept going back over there for a good hour or so, Now is this something they do? my only theory is shes waiting for some free food! but saying that when he did die she still just waited there swimming around him. Does any one know why they behave like this? can they sense something?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Rmachines.

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Betta Fish section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

What a bitter sweet story. So sorry for you loss.

Ken

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Fish like all animals seem to have a level of understanding beyound human understanding. I think in the end they know when someone is sick and in some cases they will guard that fish with their lifes and try to comfort them. Its strange, I've seen dogs and cats act the same way and have heard storys about fish doing this before. It just part of being an animal I guess. Their level of understanding is different then ours.

4. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Very interesting story. I'm sorry for your loss but seems like you gained a special appreciation for the betta along the way. I've only had my first betta, male crowntail, for 2 weeks. I thought mollies had personality, my betta is a spectacle. Lol. I actually put a couple mollies in with him (just to see) and he seems to like them.

He even chews up the food (like usual); spits it out, and doesn't mind allowing the mollies to eat it. Like a mommy bird. I should mention he does that with all the food he eats, but its so cool he shares.

5. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry, but what a story. Sounds like she's not one of the fiesty, aggressive little females we know round here lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice