Is there such a thing as too much filtration?

Delcos

I recently purchased a 90g that came with a fluval Fx4 canister and two Fluval 110 HOBs. All of that is roughly rated for 450g. My question is, is there a point where it is overkill and may become harmful, or at least is there a point where it does make any difference other than using more power and creating more current?

LeviS

People who tend to keep cichlids love over filtration due to the number of fish they cram in to avoid/spread out aggression. It comes to a point on a standard community tank where its just flow and probably not needed pending the fish you keep, the fx4 would probably be sufficient. Something like angelfish would struggle in that tank with all of those filters. So I'd say its harmful/stressful for certain fish.

BlackOsprey

I don't think there can be too much filtration, mainly because I don't see how having more ammonia-eating bacteria could ever be a bad thing. A lot of people recommend over-filtering your tanks to give you some wiggle room for stocking and to prevent ammonia spikes.

The only reason tons of filtration would cause any stress would probably be flow/current related.

AquaticQueen

I can't see it creating a problem unless there is too much current.

Nickguy5467

i always go by "you can never have too much filtration, but you can have too much flow"

GlennO

Not harmful at all. There's probably a point where it's overkill and you're paying for the unnecessary wattage and have additional filters to clean but I do get some peace of mind having at least 2 filters per tank. In case a part breaks on one I know that it's not a disaster. The remaining filter will maintain the tank well enough until I get the other one fixed.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I don't really see any problem with over filtering besides current. The only other thing that even has a remote chance of happening is, all of the bacteria start up in your filters and then there isn't enough ammonia and some die off of starvation. And there is the slightest of chance that they all die of starvation at almost the same time. That is the only thing that could probably ever happen, and is like .00001% chance of happening.

NoahLikesFish

Yeah it seems fine, just keep low flow in the tank. My 40 gal filtration is rated to 150-300gal

AggressiveAquatics

I know this is an old thread but I don’t think so because I wayyyyy overfilter my tank in my 75 I run a canister and 3 sponge filters along with a hang on the back and it seems fine lol

BigBeardDaHuZi

What fish are you keeping OP?

AcornTheBetta

I don't think there is such a thing unless you are running like a Fluval FX6 on a 10g. That would be really dumb tho lol

BettasAreSuperior

It depends. if you keep a betta or other nano fish, yes you can over filter. But if it is cichlids then there is a max to filtration but you can def over filter more.

jaysurf7

I agree you can never have to much filtration,but you can have to much of a current,its always good to have more then what you would need for a tank,but I agree with the other post also if you where to use a FX6 on a 10 gal that would be waaaayyy overkill and stress the fish out.i also noticed that when fish sleep they tend to pick a spot in the tank that has less flow and still water,to much of a flow would would bother them imo.

Delcos

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
What fish are you keeping OP?
Haven’t set the tank up, at the time it was going to be SACA cichlids, but now I’m thinking of going for an African River Biotope

BigBeardDaHuZi

Well, the more flow the better then. That sounds like fun. Have you figured out any way to get the current going in one direction?
What kindof stocking would you do?

Top Bottom