Is There Such A Plant? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by MusicalFishies, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

I have a 45 gallon freshwater tank with medium to high lighting (not sure the exact numbers) and aquarium gravel (the pebble/stone/rock) kind. Right now I have artificial plants in there with my fish but I was wondering if there would be some type of plant that might survive in there with little added fertilizer/CO2? Any ideas? I was thinking of trying anacharis....

2. skarWell Known MemberMember

Java fern, temple plant, ummm there are a few more I can't seem to think of the names.
    Basically column feeders should do good.

3. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

Thank you @skar! I will definitely look for those next time I go to my LFS! I had thought of Java fern but wasn't sure if my light might be too bright... I could give it a try though!

4. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Wndelov (a fancy java fern), anubias, ... I even had really good luck with what we use to find as Walmart wonder bulbs. They included aponogetons and a type of water lily. Wish I could find them again.

5. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

Thank you! Oh yeah I forgot about those bulbs-we used to have them in the tanks when I was a little kid!

6. OkariValued MemberMember

I think Frogbit if your looking for a fast growing floater.

7. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

Thanks! Yes, I had duckweed in there and it did great! It was a little messy though!

8. SamanthaljayValued MemberMember

I have an amazon sword doing really well in gravel with fert tabs. I will say it spent a month or two melting off but now all the leaves are bright green and it has had a ton of growth in the last 4-5 months. Anubias is slow growing but would also do well for you

9. McGooValued MemberMember

Anacharis will grow like crazy like you were saying, another good one to try is hornwort. They should both do fine in your tank and you can even just let it float if you wanted to. When they take off they should also help a bit with nitrates and whatnot.

10. skarWell Known MemberMember

Ludwigia repens!
    I also just use sand and gravel.
    Ludwig is one of my favorites.
    20190313_125917.jpg

11. clovervalleyValued MemberMember

I bought a nice looking chain sword from my lfs and now I have about 20 plants from it, I have med/high light and only fert once a week or every other week, I don’t have CO2. They produce runners that I have a hard time keeping down in sand so gravel will probably be fine, they grow even when they’re just floating for me