Is there something wrong with this tetra?

Nianichole

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling a bit paranoid, but this fish just looks odd to me (large pink guy). It's supposed to be a candy cane (ornate) tetra. Wondering what you guys think?

This fish previously had Ich. During the Ich it didn't eat and stayed in the bottom corner of the tank. Did treatment with Ich-X and also maracyn. Fish is now swimming normally and eating.

I just feel like its skin looks weird, like it has a grayish hue, especially around the head...but maybe that's natural coloration? Thoughts?

All other inhabitants of the tank are doing great. Water is 0/0/0-20.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_115506803.jpg
    IMG_20210426_115506803.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210426_115511791.jpg
    IMG_20210426_115511791.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210426_115509616.jpg
    IMG_20210426_115509616.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210426_115534503.jpg
    IMG_20210426_115534503.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 21

MacZ

Looks normal to me, considering the size and quality of the pictures.

Are there any conspecifics in the tank?

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Looks normal to me, considering the size and quality of the pictures.

Are there any conspecifics in the tank?

I initially had two, but the other succumbed to Ich :(

My LFS initially told me that larger tetras didn't need a school... And I listened to them and bought two lemons and two candy canes. They are technically the same fish just different color strains, but obviously this doesn't matter, which I didn't fully understand before. The lemons seem perfectly happy as just a pair, but this guy probably wants some friends... Just don't know that I can fit them all...or where I'd get more candy canes... Don't really want to go back to that LFS...

He does seem way happier now that the Ich is gone. He doesn't hide and swims around normally, so maybe he'll be okay solo?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Lemon tetras (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) and Candy Cane Tetras (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) are not the same species, but very much distinct species.

Sometimes you have that one or two survivors of a school that are left after a few years. So if you have no options leave it alone. I would also not go back to that store.

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Lemon tetras (Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) and Candy Cane Tetras (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) are not the same species, but very much distinct species.

Sometimes you have that one or two survivors of a school that are left after a few years. So if you have no options leave it alone. I would also not go back to that store.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought their entire scientific name was the same. I must have only paid attention to the beginning.

Yeah, I don't think I will. It was dirty, saw a few dead fish, and they had species together in tanks that were beating each other up. I don't know why I still bought fish there. It was bad impulse control.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Thanks for the clarification. I thought their entire scientific name was the same. I must have only paid attention to the beginning.

Yeah, I don't think I will. It was dirty, saw a few dead fish, and they had species together in tanks that were beating each other up. I don't know why I still bought fish there. It was bad impulse control.

You're welcome. I would think about ordering next time or try a big box store. it's a gamble but sometimes those are better than the small local stores.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
wrs2
Replies
Views
IntegralGuy
Replies