Is there something wrong with my Oto?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Wintersprite, Aug 9, 2015.

1. WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Hello all, the title says it all. Today I noticed that there were some spots on one of my otos just in front of his dorsal fin and right above his pectoral fin. I am not sure if I am just being paranoid and this is part of their normal coloration or not which is why I figured I would get some of your guys opinions. He seems to be acting normal and is eating any algae that he comes into contact with. Or at least I believe he is eating it. I have had him for 4 days now. I just tested my water this morning and everything is normal....ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 10. Here are some pictures of the oto in question. Thanks in advance for all your guys help and suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. alink

alinkWell Known MemberMember

How many Oto's do you have? Your profile says 2, if thats still accurate then you need to get at least 4 more of them because they do much better when they are in large groups when compared to a single, or couple fish. Other than that, I dont see anything to be concerned about.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Is it maybe ich?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    W

WinterspriteValued MemberMember

Alink, right now I only have 2 because that was all the fish store had left. They will be getting more in on Wednesday, so I plan on going back to get 4 more on either Friday or Saturday. That is good to hear so maybe I was just being a little paranoid then.

Dom, I do not think it is ich because the spots are not white. If you look in the first picture the spots I am talking about are in front of his dorsal fin.

I pretty sure he is eating because as you can see in the first picture he has a nice round white tummy.

5. alink

Okay I just took a look at my Otos and I dont see those spots. So it may be something to be concerned about, but I'm not sure what it is.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Looks like a flagelate like HITH, which don't appears in Oto's to my knowledge.

7. OP
    OP
    W

Hmmm...I will have to keep a close eye on him then to see if anything really is going on. Like you guys I am at a lost on if those spots are something to worry about or not. He seems to move around like normal and has a nice round belly.

8. DoubleDutch

Anothere symptom of most flagelates is stringy poop. Keep an eye on it. It doesn't look ill indeed.

9. OP
    OP
    W

Ok will do...so far I have yet to see any stringy poop.

It does or doesnt look ill? Right now i am just at a complete loss since if he is sick i am not sure what it could be. Going to check the water parameters again tomorrow afternoon to make sure that they are still ok.

10. DoubleDutch

No stress. It defo doesn't look sick. Keep a close eye on it (as you already do).

11. OP
    OP
    W

I am sad to report that he passed away some time during the night. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I would check on him. I have removed him from the tank and will be testing the water in the morning as well as calling the pet store to inform them of his passing.

I now just hope that my other Oto will be alright until Friday afternoon when I can get him 5 more friends. He has been zipping around from one side of the tank to the other cleaning the glass and plants so hopefully that is a good sign.

12. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Sorry to hear he didn't make it, Oto's can be quite sensitive fish & sometimes by the time you notice a problem it's too late :(

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear about your loss :( Otos have a high mortality rate and many people have kept them, only to have them die within in less than a month of keeping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Sorry you lost your fishy Orca :(

15. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Oto's go through quite a bit before they make it to your fish tank. They are fed mostly algae wafers and many don't seem to take to the algae wafers for the most part. From the research I did on them it seems the majority of them are wild caught and they go from an place with an abundance of food to a place that just doesn't have that much. A lot of them, by the time they make it to your tank are half starved and on death's door. They have a ridiculously high mortality rate within the first month of ownership. I personally think the sensitivity of the species is just because of what they go through before they get to you.

I personally have 3 in my tank and have had them almost a month now so I hope they are out of the woods. I know many on here feel like you should have 6 but mine don't really hang around each other a lot so I'm not sure if they would see a benefit. Plus there is plenty of algae in there for them now. There is a lot of information out there on Oto's as they are very popular so it can be hard figuring out what is best.

16. DoubleDutch

You're right about the biggest part. Only thing in this case is, the fish isn't sick / underfed or so. There seem to be tiny holes in it's skin to my believe. As indeed wildcaught it could be several things (maybe already cured). About the underfeeding : i read somewhere sometimes the bacteria for digestion die of !!! Other thing is : they are not totally herbivores. They defo need some protein as well. They'll scavage the leaves for flakes, crumbled corypellets, decapped brineshrimp-eggs, alive, frozen food, etc etc

17. alink

You are right, Oto's dont school like schooling fish. The recommendation of 6 is stated for 2 reasons to my knowledge. 1. In the wild they are found in groups in hundreds or more. 2. When there are more in the tank, they feel more comfortable and safe have more of their kind with them. Also, they should not be added to a tank unless there is a great source of algae already and you can maintain its growth. You can supplement with fresh veggies, mine loves cucumber the most of anything I have tried. Mine don't go for flakes, pellets, wafers, worms, or shrimp; algae, wood, and veggies is what they eat in my tank.

18. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I try and supplement with zucchini but really only one of them likes it. The other 2 are fine with algae.from the tank...and i have plenty

19. OP
    OP
    W

Thank you all. I am truly at a loss on what happen to him since his belly was so round and seemed healthy minus those spots on him. I checked the water parameters when I woke up this morning and everything was normal...pH 7.2, High pH 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 5-10.

I just called the pet store and they said that I can replace him with a new one so that is good news. I now just have to wait til Wednesday when their fish shipment comes in. Do you guys suggest that I wait til Friday to go pick up more. I plan on getting 5 of them so I can have a complete the school. Also one last question what is your guys tips on picking out otos? I know that you want to look for a nice round belly. Thanks again for all you guys help and suggestions. I am not ready to give up on these cute little guys just yet. Oh ya here are some pictures of my last little oto. He seems to be doing fine by himself and still looks healthy. I cannot wait to get him his friends though.

oto 1.jpgoto 2.jpgoto 3.jpgoto 4.jpg

20. DoubleDutch

Look for good looking /active fish !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice