Is There Something Wrong With My Molly?

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

I got this feeling that there's something wrong with my Golden Molly... I don't know why, its just an instinct of mine. Heres a picture. (She always had a big belly since I got her.)

Molly.jpg

malowmar

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm no expert, but she may be pregnant. How long have you had her?

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
malowmar said:
I'm no expert, but she may be pregnant. How long have you had her?
About a month. I transfered her to a bigger tank around a week ago. The only thing she could really breed with in my tank is swordtail, which I got about over a week ago aswell. And she always had a big belly the day I got her.

malowmar

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You might have bought her already pregnant. Their gestation period is around 60 days so it is possible.

Balkaran0006

Reaction score
If she is pregnant it's definitely from before as she can't breed with the swordtail. Also like said above mollies can hold their fry for up to 60 days!!

wem21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I used to have mollies, and she is very definitely pregnant. Ideally yu want a separate tank for thr fry, but if you don't have one just try to put the babies into a net that just floats around so they don't get eaten by their parent.

OP
Vortexed

Vortexed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wem21 said:
I used to have mollies, and she is very definitely pregnant. Ideally yu want a separate tank for thr fry, but if you don't have one just try to put the babies into a net that just floats around so they don't get eaten by their parent.
The reason I'm skeptical about this is because the molly already had some babys a couple weeks ago.

wem21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Vortexed said:
The reason I'm skeptical about this is because the molly already had some babys a couple weeks ago.
... Is it the same fish? If yes then maybe the moly decided to space out her babies???

Balkaran0006

Reaction score
She could possibly just have a really short gestation period!? But it usually takes mollies a little longer until they give birth.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom