Is There Something Wrong With My Molly?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vortexed, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Vortexed

Vortexed Valued Member Member

Hello!

I got this feeling that theres something wrong with my Golden Molly... I dont know why, its just an instinct of mine. Heres a picture. (She always had a big belly since I got her.)

Molly.jpg

2. malowmar

malowmar Valued Member Member

I'm no expert, but she may be pregnant. How long have you had her?

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

About a month. I transfered her to a bigger tank around a week ago. The only thing she could really breed with in my tank is swordtail, which I got about over a week ago aswell. And she always had a big belly the day I got her.

4. malowmar

malowmar Valued Member Member

You might have bought her already pregnant. Their gestation period is around 60 days so it is possible.

5. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

If she is pregnant it's definitely from before as she can't breed with the swordtail. Also like said above mollies can hold their fry for up to 60 days!!

6. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

I used to have mollies, and she is very definitely pregnant. Ideally yu want a seperate tank for thr fry, but if you dont have one just try to put the babies into a net that just floats around so they dont get eaten by their parent.

7. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

The reason im skeptical about this is because the molly already had some babys a couple weeks ago.

8. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

... Is it the same fish? If yes then maybe the moly decided to space out her babies???

9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Agreed.

10. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

She could possibly just have a really short gestation period!? But it usually takes mollies a little longer until they give birth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice