Is there something wrong with my fish?

1. khayleyb Initiate Member

I have 3 female gold dust mollies in a 20 gallon tank. I started the tank about 6 weeks ago. I believe the tank has cycled, the ammonia was pretty high for awhile and then slowly started to come down and is now back at 0. The problem is one of my fish was at the bottom of the tank most the day. It can still swim around but has been hiding out at the bottom. Is it sick? Any suggestions appreciated. We were just about to buy some more fish but I think we will wait to see what happens now. :(

2. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Is it male or female? If it is female, does she look like she could be pregnant? Are there any other fish in the tank? How are the other fish acting? Can you post a picture of the fish?

3. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know the genders? If you have two males and one female, the one inferior male may be hiding. (I'm having this problem with some platys.)

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Do you know if there is still a level of nitrites? Nitrites, while not as toxic as ammonia, it's still very toxic and even though you may have 0 ammonia, you may have very high nitrites. Nitrites, like a ammonia, should read 0 when a tank is cycled and remain at 0. If you haven't tested for this component of the nitrogen cycle, it would be very wise to do so. Nitrate is the only thing you will have a level of once the tank is cycled.

5. davebowden Member Member

Are you sure they are all female ?? Sounds like you could have at least one male to me.:;hi1

6. mikegip Initiate Member

That's very funny.
    But with all of your comment .
    I still don't know the reason...
    Nitrites?one inferior male hide?pregnant?
    o.my god...so many reasons!

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

That's is because there are many possibilities, with the limited info given.

It would be much like you saying "I'm cold.Why?" Without additional info it could be because you are in a freezer, you don't have a coat on, you're sitting in a lake of cold water, you are covered in ice bags, etc. Without more info, different people will make different assumptiuons as to why you are cold, and give different recommendations (get out of the freezer, put a coat on, get out of the lake of cold water, take the ice bags off). All those recommendations would be good, but it would be up to you to apply the recommendation that pertained to your situation.

I think some posters assumed that the OP knew all about the nitrogen cycle so gave advice with the assumption that all prameters were good. Toosie on the other hand (who I agree with on this) thinks that it may be a water parameter problem. But with so little info given, it hard to know exactly whats wrong. But if the OP explores all recommendations, the probelm will more than likely be solved.

8. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Very good point jdhef! It is very hard to help when you are very limited on the information given. That is why I asked several questions and asked for pictures, got to get more information to help.