Is there no way..?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not really sorry. They will eventually get to be 12 inches and 30 gallon just isn't big enough. I have two in a 75 gallon and will eventually need a bigger tank.
Check this out
Carol

TheEssigs

Well Known
Reaction score
Gina - I did some research for you and according to aquariumfish.com (which is sponsored by aqaurium international and others) says this:

In the Family of Cobitidae, Clown Loaches in the wild it can reach 17 inches; however, in the home aquarium it seldom exceeds 7 inches.
Temperature: 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, Water: Not particular, Origin: Indonesia, Sumatra, Borneo

The clown loach is an active schooling fish that is best kept in small groups (three to six fish). It will tolerate tank mates of other species, although docile species may become agitated by the constant activity of this fish. Clown loaches may alarm their owners by lying on their sides and backs while resting appearing to be dead. This is normal clown loach behavior. They also make audible clicking sounds in the evening. The clown loach has switchblade-like eye spines, but because it is not a territorial fish, these pose no threat to its tankmates. However, they may become entangled in nets, and may also cause injury to the aquarist's hand if he or she is not careful. This species can live for as long as 20 years in the home aquarium. The clown loach is a "naked skinned" fish. That is, they either lack or have very tiny scales that are imbedded in the body. This can present a problem because it provides the fish with almost no protection from toxic materials dissolved in the aquarium water. Avoid adding medications to the aquarium unless they are specifically recommended for "scaleless" fishes.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
theessigs said:
Gina - I did some research for you and according to aquariumfish.com (which is sponsored by aqaurium international and others) says this:

In the Family of Cobitidae, Clown Loaches in the wild it can reach 17 inches; however, in the home aquarium it seldom exceeds 7 inches.
Temperature: 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit, Water: Not particular, Origin: Indonesia, Sumatra, Borneo

The clown loach is an active schooling fish that is best kept in small groups (three to six fish). It will tolerate tank mates of other species, although docile species may become agitated by the constant activity of this fish. Clown loaches may alarm their owners by lying on their sides and backs while resting appearing to be dead. This is normal clown loach behavior. They also make audible clicking sounds in the evening. The clown loach has switchblade-like eye spines, but because it is not a territorial fish, these pose no threat to its tankmates. However, they may become entangled in nets, and may also cause injury to the aquarist's hand if he or she is not careful. This species can live for as long as 20 years in the home aquarium. The clown loach is a "naked skinned" fish. That is, they either lack or have very tiny scales that are imbedded in the body. This can present a problem because it provides the fish with almost no protection from toxic materials dissolved in the aquarium water. Avoid adding medications to the aquarium unless they are specifically recommended for "scaleless" fishes.

Hope this helps & good luck!
I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with you on Clown Loach size and growth patterns. My two got to be six inches in a year and 7 and eight inches in another year. After they reach that size they do slow down in their growth.
Here is more information clown loach The reason I trust loaches is because they actually have these loaches they are writing these articles about. The Clown Loach on the page I linked is 14 inches.
Carol

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known
Reaction score
Clown loaches are one of the most energetic and personable fishes there are, putting a couple of clown loaches in a small tank is a VERY bad idea. Clown loaches have been recorded at 10-14 inches in home aquariums. The reason they seldom get more than 7 inches in captive is cramped conditions and/or mistreatment or neglect.

They very easily will get to 7 or 8 inches long and a couple of pounds in weight in 3-4 yrs of life. The rule of 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water is not accurate, especially in the case of fish who get bulky as well as long.

It would do injustice of unspeakable proportions to make a clown loach (or several clown loaches) suffer in cramped quarters.

If you plan to have that species of fish you should keep no less than 2 or 3 in atleast a 55 gallon and plan to increase that to upwards of 100 gallons for just 2 or 3 of them by the time they are a couple of years old.

TheEssigs

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow, great loach site Carol.
Hey why do you think that there is sooooo much contridictory information out there?
One site says one thing, yet another says something else. I like aquarium international, the publication, and now the web site for quick reference.
I wonder why they would write that information like that... Do you think because the mag is international that the strain of loach may be different or something? I mean like why some fishes in VA would be 5", yet in cooler northern waters where the species is found they only get to 3"? Just food for thought...

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known
Reaction score
The fact-checkers may be mistaken or just plain wrong, sadly. Or one person may have cared for theirs in a less efficient manner than the person with the larger ones. I am not 100% sure why there is a difference other than mistaken/lazy loach keeper doing the lesser recording, so I will stop speculation there.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your right there is a lot of contridictory information out there. That's one of the reason you have to do so much research. That's why I have to have the utmost confidence in a site before I will link to it.
Sometimes fish are not kept in optimum conditions and don't grow like they should so people assume that's how they are. Some times reliable sources aren't used. Clowns for instance come from Sumatra and Borneo in the majority. You can look at their fins and tell where they were imported from. There is no smaller breed of clown Loach. Sorry
carol

TheEssigs

Well Known
Reaction score
I wasn't saying there is a smaller breed... yeesh. Dont bite my head off kids! I'm just saying that there are parameters for growth and I did do some other research on 5 different sites where I found these statements before I posted my quote from aquarium international.

Badmans Tropical Fish : The Clown Loach can reach a length of 12 inches,but is usually smaller in the home aquarium.
About: Adult Size: 6 inches in captivity
Wikipidia: Often sold in the pet trade at around 1.5 inches, they do grow fast until about 5 inches at which time their growth slows to a maximum length of 11 in, Although they are unlikely to reach this size in a tank.
Tropical Fish Finder: They are not small fish, growing up to a foot in length, although many aquarium specimens never reach more than half this size.
Aquaria Central: Max Size: 6 - 12"

TheEssigs

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey Gina -

Why not take a look at the Zebra Loach... its striped too and much smaller and may be better suited for your 30 gallon.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
theessigs - nobodys biting your head off. I thought I was answering a question you asked sorry if I sounded abrupt.
Striata loaches, zebra Loaches, Yoyo Loaches sidthimunkI Loaches (Rose has some) are all great small loaches that would work great in teh 30G.
carol

Chief_waterchanger

Well Known
Reaction score
Just a tidbit of info on the clown loach that most sites won't list;
The oldest one in captivity is over 80 years old.

Good luck in your search for loaches for your tank.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, even if the fish fits your tank, would you want to spend the rest of your life in a 10 x 10 foot room?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom