Is There Hope For These Anubias? How Should I Care For Them?

FishGirl38

The Backstory:
These plants were in a neglected betta tank that was (pictured) the last photo posted in the reel. (yikes...huh?..)

What is pictured is what has started to grow back after I cleaned everything up (also pictured, hey - there was white sand underneath all of that green cyano and hair algae), started dosing fertilizers, and got proper lights for the tank (aquasky/led).

I dose flourish weekly (one thread (1 thread per 10G) - should I add more?). -Am thinking of adding a root tab to the sand but I don't want to over-do the ferts.

The only thing in this tank are 2 bettas and a host of ramshorn snails (and a single amano in the left side).

This is (was...is..) an Anubias barteri.
Would it grow better if I split it off? Should I prune what has holes?

The first two pictures are an above shot - highlighting the newest growth in the top most corner after the acclimation from the cleaning/fertilizer dosings. Green and full (but small) leaves. The rest is older growth.

Attachments

MacZ

Hmm... I also had to deal with an anubias like this a few months ago. Just remove the leaves that are really badly affected, the Rhizome is what keeps them still hanging on. You can skip the fertilizers, though. Anubias seem not to care about light or ferts, they just do their thing in their time. :D This might take a month or two.

smee82

I agree trim of anything die and leave them alone. Theyre pretty hardy plants and should bounce back.

ruthgutman

If you planted them in sand that could be the cause of them dying off because it is hard for nutrients to get to the roots and also very hard for the roots to grow in sand that compacts and there are no cracks for the roots to go anywhere. Also that plant is not meant to be planted, it is supposed to be attached to a log or some other type of decoration.

Top Bottom