Is There Anything Wrong With My Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by OzzFish, Feb 18, 2019.

1. OzzFishNew MemberMember

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

To be blunt....you need a much bigger tank, and either another 5 danios and tetras or to get rid of the danio and tetra
    African dwarf frogs do best in species only tanks too

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

As far as stocking yes many issues. Dwarf gourami are known to be very territorial so its recommended one per tank. The recommended minimum tank size for a bristlenose is 29 gallon. Both the danio and tetra should be in schools and to do that a 20 gallon is the recommended minimum. Frogs are tough to feed when in a tank with fish so its recommended species only tanks for them.

4. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

If I were you I would take the fish back and get another frog :) or two... I'm not really sure how many fit in 10 gallon
    ADF are on my wish list eventually

5. OzzFishNew MemberMember

The Danio and the tetra was from a different tank that was taken down so I have them in my 10 gallon for now and I also have a 29 gallon I’m trying to get setup. And being blunt is sometimes the best thing to do

6. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

How are the dwarf gouramis getting along? How often and how much water are you changing out? Do you siphon the substrate and try to get the gunk lodged in the rocks? Your tank looks really cute:)

7. OzzFishNew MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon I am setting up that I plan to put the small bristle nose in. The danio and the tetra are from a different tank that I saved them from. I’ll try to get a tank just for my African dwarf frog once I get the money. I had no idea thank you for the help!

They get along pretty good they mess around every now and then and I do a water change one a week or two weeks and whenever it needs it and when I do I usually siphon the bottom. And thank you

i might do a tank just for them

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  8. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

So you are testing your water to find out when it needs a WC? What is your typical nitrAte level pls?

9. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, you have some issues. A 10 is a very small tank and you have a variety of things wrong.

1 Dwarf Gourami is the max for a 10. They actually prefer to be housed alone as males will fight, unless its a paired male & female and then they should be in a 20 minimum.

A Bristlenose Pleco gets about 6 inches or bigger and has a HUGE bioload. Its too big for a 10 and a 30 is really the minimum.

Your Danio and Tetra are schooling fish and should be in a group of 6 MINIMUM but will do better in an even bigger group. Theyre also far too active to keep in a 10 as they need a lot of room to swim. 20 is the minimum for a group of one or the other.

Your African Frog CAN be housed in a 10, with another 1 or 2 even, but they should really be in a dedicated species only tank.

You really need to decide what you want to keep: Either 1 Gourami or 1 frog, everything else must go. THEN if you keep the Gourami you COULD pick a small school of Rasboras to go with it. If you keep the frog you could add 1, maybe 2. more. If you keep the tank the way it is now you will probably have issues with stress, disease, fighting, feeding, etc.

10. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

If your doing a 29 you could move everyone over and leave the frog behind and get a few more.

11. OzzFishNew MemberMember

Last time I test it was pretty low but I haven’t tested it since I need to get more testing strips

All I need to set it up is substrate and plants

12. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Don't forget to cycle it:)

13. OzzFishNew MemberMember

I will for sure and I’m thinking about doing a planted tank

14. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I really suggest you get the liquid test this time. API makes a good master kit. Those test strips just haven't been reliable. Just some friendly advice, I'd change out 50% every week (like on Sundays) until you get the test kit. NitrAte can sneak up so easily, ask me how I know!

15. OzzFishNew MemberMember

Alright I’ll do that