Is there anything else I need?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by RaNdOm iLLuSiOn, Aug 10, 2014.

1. R

RaNdOm iLLuSiOn New Member Member

I have started a saltwater tank about 3-4 months ago and I have a 3 stage charcoal built in filter, powerhead, heater, white bulb light, live rock, Sand, salinity meter, test kits, fish flakes. In my 50 litre blue planet tank.

And any advice/tips would be great thanks in advance

2. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

From what info I see you should be fine. I would just like to remind you that this being a very small tank keep aware of wide fluctuations in water params just like FW though including salinity. IMO a refactometer is a must have vrs. a swing style hydrometer especially in a tank that small. When you perform WC's try more frequent very small ones not larger ones to further prevent these swings. good luck.

3. tmills

tmills New Member Member

I was wondering how you were filtering tap water, I learned this lesson the hard way and in fw awhile back. SW is so cool....... Good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    R

I buy my water from my LFS and top it up with tap water with conditioner ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407749177.016230.jpg
    That's my tank :) getting. Bigger one mid next year when I move house

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  5. tmills

tmills New Member Member

Looks like a great start, any idea on what you are going to keep?

6. OP
    OP
    R

I want to get 2 clownfish 3 blue/green chromis and any other fish and things I might like on the way I also want to get coral like torch and hard corals mushrooms and I'm just waiting till I move house then I'm going to get a bigger tank and get all my fish and start my corals and things

7. tmills

tmills New Member Member

I'm starting a breeding setup with clowns 2pr, snowflake and a young pair of picasso their behavior unreal you will sit in front of the tank for hours, I think that's à great idea you won't be let down!!!! A pair would work, just keep track of water conditions, "bioload"

8. 1971roadrunner

That's a darn fine tank you have there random. I suppose you could put a pair of small clowns in there but IMO nothing else except maybe a shrimp or something. I don't run small tanks like this or keep coral so I'll let another comment further. Good luck :).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I run a small reef like this. Mine is about 57-58L. I keep a pair of clowns and a tailspot blenny in there with zero issues, but I don't dare add anything else.

10. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks :) Im not adding the clowns and thing till I get my bigger tank

11. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, hope you're enjoying Fishlore :D

Nice looking setup :;hf

As you're planning on corals, try and establish exactly what type of light you have. Most corals are photosynthetic, and get their energy from light.

Food wise, try and feed a varied diet, including frozen foods - remember, many SW fish are hand-caught from reefs, and some can be difficult to get eating prepared foods. Mine get a mixture of (all Hikari and Ocean Nutrition) Mega Marine Angel, Mysis and Brine Shrimp, Brine Shrimp with Spirulina, Rotifers, Ocean Plankton, Squid, and the Ocean Nutrition Quintet. I also feed frozen prawn and mussel, and additionally the odd bit of New Life Spectrum Thera A+. Oh, and don't forget Nori seaweed for herbivores (primarily my Tang, but my angel also likes it)

I stock up at the LFS, and buy about 2 or 3 months at a time. I have no set routine, it's a matter of 'what did they have last night' and I just choose something different each night. Too, most SW fish enjoy Mysis and Brine shrimp, larger fish the Ocean Plankton. Other foods can be hit and miss, depending on the fish, e.g. mine don't like wholefish/baitfish, so I just don't buy it anymore.

You say hard corals, do you mean SPS, like acropora and montipora? If so, you'll want to start preparing the tank now - that is, lighting, and nutrients. SPS corals are difficult to keep.

I would also consider a skimmer and switching to RODI water for your topups. Even though I'm in Melbourne, and water is pretty 'pure', I still use RODI ;)

12. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks for the tips I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I get my new tank I'll be sure to post pics and things up

13. 1971roadrunner

Don't forget the (some)things!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice