Question Is There Anybody That Knows About Blood Parrot Cichlid

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That’s normal when they are young and they can also get it when they are stressed. When they are older they can get black smudges on then for no reason. Mine do it once in awhile and my water parameters are good and they aren’t getting bullied.

DavisM

Reaction score
Thank you, As of now he has not been bullied but I do plan on filling the tank with Mbuna. Will he be fine with Mbuna, or should I put him in a different tank?

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, As of now he has not been bullied but I do plan on filling the tank with Mbuna. Will he be fine with Mbuna, or should I put him in a different tank?
I wouldn’t put him with Africans but you may want to get a second opinion on that since I really don’t know a lot about African cichlids. What other tanks do you have?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's called peppering, totally harmless but could indicate it wasn't bred in the best conditions or from the best parents

DavisM

Reaction score
If he was not breed in good conditions what could that mean for him in the future.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There's a small chance of him being slightly more prone to illness, but as far as I know that's not a very big problem with blood parrots.

Also, I did reply to your thread asking about keeping him with mbunas too

Last edited by a moderator:

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore! Hmm... it could definitely be stress marks. My BP breaks out in little splotches if something is bothering her. Your parameters are good? And is he being bullied by anyone?

DavisM

Reaction score
I don’t see any physical signs of him being bullied and I have not witnessed anything.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you are unable to pinpoint a cause, a water change never hurts in case there’s someone in the water thats off that we don’t test for. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom