Is there any way to remove the paint from aquarium gravel?

arodriguezh

When I originally got into the hobby all my tanks had gravel as a substrate, but over the years I have transitioned to more natural-looking aquariums, using sand instead. But I still have 3 full buckets of aquarium gravel that I'm not planning on using because of the color.

My question is, is it possible to remove the color in aquarium gravel (maybe with a chemical like paint remover) and then rinse and boil very well the gravel? Some people say that over time the paint starts to chip, so I guess that it's possible to remove it.

What are your thoughts on it?

Note: I know gravel is cheap, but I just don't want to waste it if I can use it in another project.

Demeter

A rock polisher would do the trick I think. Chemicals could work too but not a good idea IMO.

arodriguezh

A rock polisher would do the trick I think. Chemicals could work too but not a good idea IMO.
Rock polisher as a rock tumbler?

GlennO

I've used old aquarium gravel in the bottom of pot plants for drainage or mixed with soil to improve drainage in beds planted with succulents or other plants that need sharp drainage. You can also spread it on existing gravel pathways or to create new ones.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
BettaCyrus
Replies
Views
wiremoon
Replies
Views