Is there any way to avoid staining your water when adding driftwood?

1. Lchi87

Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

From what I've researched, it seems like tea colored water is inevitable but I was hoping someone on here was successful in adding driftwood without tannins leaching like crazy and turning the water all dark. I was planning on doing some serious marathon boiling, scrubbing, bleach dipping, rinsing and more soaking but if nothing will help, I may just skip driftwood altogether. The discolored water will make me crazy.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What I did was pour boiling water over it and let it soak overnight. The next day I dumped out the water and then repeated the process until the water was fairly clear. It took about 3-4 days. If it still stains your water when you get it in the tank, you can also put in a fresh bag of activated carbon or Purigen (works wonders) and it should remove the tannins pretty quickly.

3. Charles556

Charles556 Valued Member Member

The most i've ever done for my driftwood and bogwood is soak the pieces for a week in hot water (not boiling), changing the water at roughly the same time each day. It doesn't completely get rid of tannins, but I don't really notice darker water. After a week without a water change, though, the water appears yellowish but is quickly resolved when I change out 30% of the water.

Yellow tinged water isn't really a bad thing, unless you're going for rift lake cichlids. Honestly, no matter what you do, your wood is still going to leach tannins into the water. To me, the small sacrifice is worth the beauty and functionality wood brings to your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

You're so helpful :) Thanks!!

5. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

The amount of tannins depends on the type of driftwood, I have a mopani piece that leeched tannins like no tomorrow. I boiled it, soaked it, nothing worked. It was driving me nuts and eventually I just removed it. Now I have a piece of cholla in there which I boiled and soaked for a week and it barely releases any tannins.

Typically, the darker and denser the wood, the more tannins it releases.

6. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I soaked mine outside in a bucket for a week and it didn't discolor my tank. But it will probably grow white fungus for a couple weeks, that's common and fish will usually nibble it. Tannins are actually good for your fish and plants and some people have dark water tanks and the tannins help achieve that look. If your water turns dont panic, weekly water changes will eventually clear it up.

7. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

Yes mopani leeches like crazy! I have 3 large pieces in my 75g all of which I boiled multiple times. They still stain my water like crazy after 6months of having them

8. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I have mopani and it took a a few days of soaking. Mine was from zoomed brand. I have 3 more pieces in my cart on Amazon and will buy them when I have the money.

9. g

Mine is all Zoo med as well. Strongly recommend you ditch amazon and purchase on DR foster and smith. I received very nice pieces from them

10. RockLobster

RockLobster Valued Member Member

Add some purigen to your filter and it'll help cover that tea look once you have it in.

11. g

I have 200ml of purigen in my canister. I still get tea water after about a week. Then again I have 3 Extra large pieces. Each pieces weighs a good 15lbs

12. OP
    OP
    Lchi87

I ended up grabbing some spiderwood which was sand blasted and allegedy won't stain as badly as mopani and so far so good! I did grab some purigen just in case!