is there any small fish that can live in a outside

1. Gage Member Member

i have a 40 gallon garden pond what fish can i put in it besides goldfish and kio

please help

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry to say that with a 40 gallon pond you cannot fit Koi in there and the only goldfish you could fit in would be 3 fancy goldfish (as opposed to common or comet goldfish). Fancy goldfish require 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each additional.

Common goldfish and Koi can get to be well over a foot long and would require a much larger pond.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Mosquito fish is about it on the Mainland. Platies have a pretty good temperature range but it has to be stable.

4. LWormy Member Member

You can probably have white mountain minnows or guppies if you live in somewhere warm.

5. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

what about sunfish or flagfish? idk where u live but they might work.

6. Anthony10 Member Member

It really depends on your winter, if the pond freezes every winter you don't have many choices. If it doesn't you will have a lot more. Some ideas:

POND FREEZES EVERY WINTER:

-- If the pond freezes to the bottom every year you can't have anything overwinter!

- Fancy goldfish, unless the temp gets below 20ish degrees
    - Minnows, I know they aren't very colorful but you could have a around 20-30
    - Native fish, if you have access to a lake you might be able to net/fish for sunfish (Check if it is legal or if you need a license!)

COLD WATER, POND DOESNT FREEZE:

- White Cloud Mountain minnows, like minnows
    - Mosquitofish, kinda like a guppy, just not as colorful
    - Fancy goldfish, minnows and natives will also work

WARM WATER:

-- Tons of choices!

- Guppies
    - Flagfish
    - Mosquitofish
    - Fancy goldfish
    - Natives
    - Killifish
    - Platies
    - Mollies
    - And basically every fish you could have in a 40gal aquarium!

NOTE: Make sure your able to keep the fish you choose in your area! In some cases it's illegal to own certain species!!

-Anthony

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Notropsis (shiners) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406737913.164396.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406737927.934856.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406737942.161773.jpg