Help Is there any hope?

JitsuRose

Reaction score
My male betta has developed swim bladder disease, I've had him in hospital tank, aquarium salt, he pooped and got better. This happened 2 more times, now it's not gotten better after he pooped. He hadn't pooped for 4 days and I tried the pea thing, and he pooped that out, but that's it. For the last 2 days he's been in a 1/2gal tank, with aquarium salt, and started him on EM Erythromycin. He seemed to be doing better, by being able to stay upright for much longer periods of time, but then he pooped and is back to swimming on his side. Besides all this I've been trying to heal fin rot, which it seemed to be getting better, but it's clearly returned. I've tried everything for this fish, to the point where I felt most comfortable with aquarium salt and almond leaves, but then this happened and I think he needs a bit more. My fear is dropsy, all I have is the erythromycin, will that be ok or is it necessary to get something different? He's still active, took the pea from my finger, so I feel he's fighting whatever it is. It's just hard when I see him floating on his side like he's dead because he has to rest. Thanks for any advice and knowledge.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try frozen daphnia as it works better for bettas than peas and use ebsom salts for the swelling... unsure of dosing though. Its supposed to be better for dropsy.

Theres hope, but its tough.

BettaNgold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Try frozen daphnia as it works better for bettas than peas and use ebsom salts for the swelling... unsure of dosing though. Its supposed to be better for dropsy.

Theres hope, but its tough.
Try the epsom salt in a bath at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Dissolve it and allow fish to stay in bath for 20 minutes. Then put back in tank. The epsom salt will draw fluid out and is also a mild laxative. You can do this 3 times a day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom