Is there any fish I’m able to keep in a pond?

JamesVader

Hello everybody!

So Im trying to find out if there are any fish that I can keep outdoors in a 40 gallon pond at my house.

In the summer the Average temperature is a high of 65 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of 50-55~.
In the winter it’s an average temperature of 60 in the day and 40 at night, Maybe a little colder

I was thinking I could keep some fish outside during next summer. And next winter bring them inside when it gets too cold.

Also do you think it’s a good idea to have a heater out there set at its lowest setting just as a backup?

What fish would you put out here? How would you set it up if you were me? Thanks for your advice

ps. I don’t really want goldfish

Aquariumlover1357

You could put a koi or two. (Not sure if that helps since koi are similar to goldfish.)

Upvote 0

JamesVader

Don’t koi get to big anyway?

Upvote 0

kattiq

Look into Rice fish. I hear they make great pond fish and can accept a wide arrange of temps. From what I hear, if the pond is deep enough you wouldn’t have to bring them in during the winter. I’ve heard of guppy ponds too but it might be a bit too cold for them.

Upvote 0

JamesVader

Look into Rice fish. I hear they make great pond fish and can accept a wide arrange of temps. From what I hear, if the pond is deep enough you wouldn’t have to bring them in during the winter. I’ve heard of guppy ponds too but it might be a bit too cold for them.
I’ll look into it! Thanks

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

Where are you at? I wish my local temps stayed in that range but we get from 30 up to 110 Fahrenheit.

Upvote 0

JamesVader

Where are you at? I wish my local temps stayed in that range but we get from 30 up to 110 Fahrenheit.
I’m by the coast in California, I really like the weather here.

I used to live in a place that was over 100 almost everyday lol and never cooled off at night

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

I’m by the coast in California, I really like the weather here.

I used to live in a place that was over 100 almost everyday lol and never cooled off at night
Shoot im in cali too. But i love in central cali. Its terrible. I would love to move to the coast.

Upvote 0

Foxxway

Right now, I have goldfish, mollies and guppies in my outdoor tubs/pond. If you have the surface covered with a plant like water hyacinth, it helps a lot with higher heat issues. You'll have to decide whether you want to dig a pond below the frostline or bring them in to basement or garage bc if your area gets snow and freezes, they could die.
I'm thinking of not bringing in the big 110 gal this fall and try insulating it and running heaters. They have 2 big pond pumps in them, so water circulation isn't an issue, but the cold is. I only have one fancy oranda in with the comets (that are HUGE), but I've heard they can't handle temps as low as the comets can.
You can plecos, tropicals and most fish in a large tub pond as long as you have good circulation, surface plant coverage and watch the heat. Mine can get in the upper 90s sometimes, so I top off with cool water.

Upvote 0

Rabi619

I’ll look into it! Thanks
Japanese medaka ricefish is the way to go as I keep several strains myself

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Natalie666
  • Question
  • Cambrianexplosion24
  • Heater