Is there an ethical way to get rid of unwanted fish?

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds to me like your friend may have deeper issues if he just wants them to die. There is no reason he can't rehome them or give them to the LFS or even just put them on craigslist, people will take free fish anytime. Your friend needs to get his act together.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey, Matt, I don't know if this is where you intended the conversation to go, but this is a really interesting subject

I think everyone would probably agree that if he's allowed to give the fish to a friend, you should accept the donation. Once they are yours, you are allowed to do with them as you wish, and that would include taking them to the LFS.

Personally, I find this to be a little bit deceptive, and I hate to see us as a forum encouraging kids to not be honest with their parents, as we sort of are with your friend. I think another option may be for your friend to ask his parents why it is okay to give them to a friend but not a LFS. I have a feeling it is either because 1) they don't want to feel like they wasted money or 2) your friend is immature and impulsive, and they are using this as an opportunity to force him to be responsible for pets he chose to buy.

So perhaps if the parents knew that he's not taking care of his animals, they'd reconsider their stance. I don't know, just a thought.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I agree with Treefork and Meenu. I think that there are underlying and deeper issues here with your friend and his parents. Matt, it depends on how involved you want to get. You may want to enlist the help of your parents. If your parents and his parents are friends they could ask his parents a few questions to get to the bottom of the whole thing. It is hard to call the shots when you don't know the WHOLE story!! There are pieces to the puzzle missing here and issues as Treefork mentioned.

But let me say this............ I am glad I am not an animal being taken care of by your friend. You stated that he is one of your many fishkeeping friends. Those fish should be able to be relocated to someone elses aquarium. Another friend or either the LFS. There are other roads to go down besides the route your friend is taking. His choice for this road is questionable. I think that the end destination all of us would hope for is that the fish be relocated. Why not be up front and say that you will take them and that you are going to take them to the LFS, or, you can hopefully find another one of your friends to take them. It sounds like this kid doesn't care what happens to the fish, so you can step in and relocate them for him. I think being up front with his parents about what your intentions are would be fine. Just be kind and helpful. But there is also the fact that you can not help some one else unless they WANT or realize they need help.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I don't agree with the stealing answer...stealing is stealing, be it 1 penny or 1 thousand dollars. The value of what was stolen means nothing. The fact that it was stolen is the fact.

If a fish needs to be put down it needs to be quick and as painless as possible. A bucket of ice water will instantly stun and kill a tropical fish...as an example.
I am not against euthanizing a fish when it is needed. I have eutanized fish myself. What I am against is killing them in any way just because you got bored with them.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so let's say this friend gets rid of the current fish somehow......so what is going to stop him from getting bored once again with the "aggressive" fish he now has?

and why, when his parents know he wants to get rid of the first fish, would they buy him more fish!!? they should just say you're done. no more pets for you until you grow up, learn respect and pay for them yourself.

and feeding cichlids fry/feeders is one thing.....but putting fish together just so the one eat the other is pretty whacked. though i have heard of someone thinking it was fun to see two bettas fight it out til only one remains. of course in asia they do this, though i don't know if til one dies.

i also know of a guy who put his two elderly cats down because they had to be on meds and were just "old", and he didn't want to deal with them after his wife passed away. i still breathe fire when i think about that.

people can be irresponsible and unethical at any age. it's sad. but i suppose a subjective topic....though i only see it one way

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I managed to stumble across this thread and I have notice so many things that are wrong with this story, 1 the guy who wants to get rid of his fish and is just letting them waste away obviously doesn't want to care for any kind of fish when they let them go like that and just because they have the novelty of having these new exciting agressive fish doesn't mean he can just ignore his other fish thats just wrong. 2 If your so worried about it, it should be a simple matter just get them from him and you seem more mature about this than your friend so I think you may be able to set up a new better home for them. 3 Why wouldn't his parents let him take his fish to the lfs? that really doesn't make sense the only reason I could think of is that they think that they are going to die sitting in the pet store, but if they know what your friend is doing that wouldn't be as bad hes trying to kill them on purpose. I have a stuborn friend that has the same attitude on things ( never with pets hes great with animals) but he is just being lazy and doesn't want to do anything with them. It could just be an excuse that his parents wont let him take them to the lfs.

I have another theory on this. When I was in 5th grade I bought my first fish tank. I had to save up my own money because my parents wouldn't get one for me, because they didn't think I would take care of them. In the end I spent my hard earned christmas money (trust me its hard to kiss up to my reletives) and I bought my tank. My mom and I had made a deal, if I bought the tank, she would buy everything else, things like the gravel and decorations and most important the fish. I think her making me pay for the tank myself kind of got me going, I had always wanted a swordtail they were my favorite fish, but anyway he might have gotten everything just given to him and he didn't have to work for anything and now he doesn't want it he thinks he can just throw it away as easy as it came.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wow, they never should have kept a sunfish, which is a bluegill right? my husband sometimes catches those....i always thought no one kept those and ate them. but i could be wrong.

regardless, he and/or the cousin should not have been so irresponsible. i'm not sure how old these kids are....but someone who is an adult should have been with them. but i'm glad you are not like that.....that makes me feel better i hope that you can talk some sense into your friend.....but it sounds like he just doesn't have a conscience like you.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hear bluegill are actually good eating. They are supposed to taste like bass (which they are closely related to). But sunfish doesn't mean its a bluegill. There are around 30 species that are collectively known as sunfish (bass are part of this group). I agree that is is incredibly irresponsible that these two people kept these fish "because they are aggressive".

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
sunfish bluegill and crappie are in the panfish family and they are pretty much the same fish except from some subtle differences

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ethical:

1. Re-home
2. Humane euthanizing

There have been many ecosystems sent way off balance by people releasing fish into the wild. IMHO-That should NEVER be considered and could have very dire consequences.
Could anybody find and give me an example of such a case?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In England we have native Crayfish, however in the 1900's people bought the bigger American Signal Crayfish over from the US to farm. Some escaped into the rivers and decimated the Native Crays, which are nearly extinct now. We have also had massive problems with Zander being released from fisheries and wiping out entire fish populations.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could anybody find and give me an example of such a case?
1. Asian Carp all over America are destroying ecosystems by out competing native fish for food, so the native fish are starving to death and not reproducing.
2. The Volitan Lionfish in the Atlantic, Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. These fish are completely destroying reef systems because they eat every fish that can fit in their exceptionally large mouths and they have no natural predators in that area of the world since they are from the South Pacific. Genetic studies have shown that the thousands of lionfish now terrorizing these seas are descended from just six individual fish that were from the aquarium trade. Several countries now have kill on site orders for these fish. So dive masters taking tourists out for dives carry spears guns so they can kill these fish when they see them. They are also becoming popular in restaurants in the affected regions as the dive masters and other fishermen sell them to the restaurants to alleviate pressure on some of the fish the lionfish is eating and out competing for food.
3. Pythons in the everglades of florida are making it very difficult for the american alligator because they are competing for the same food, and in some areas the pythons are doing it better.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my many fishkeeping friends has a few fish that he wants, and I can't take them just due to space, and for some reason, his parents won't let him give them to a local aquarium shop, even though they will gladly take them (I don't blame them, it's free merchendice), he specificly got some fish that he actuatly want's because he knew they were aggressive and wanted them to kill his old fish, well that didn't work, so now he'll move the new fish and just rufuse to clean it, no filter either, it looks aweful, poor fish, is he trying to poisen them with thier own wast? Anyway, they're somehow still alive, and he just wants to flush them, alive, into the Mississippi, that kid doesn't understand ethics. Anyway, is there any way to ethicly get rid of them, preferably keeping them alive. But I don't just want my question to be answered, I want a good debate on how to ethicly get rid of unwnated fish, so let the debate begin :;b
I would seem that the original question and the problem this kid is deliberating over has taken a stray turn.

I am just worried that this youngster may be in over his head trying to convince his friend that what he is doing is not right. Doesn't anybody wonder what is going to happen if he goes over to his "friend's" house and takes pictures of the horrible tank as he stated he was going to do earlier. Doesn't anyone see there could be some trouble possibly brewing here?

Just concerned!!

youngstermatt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would seem that the original question and the problem this kid is deliberating over has taken a stray turn.

I am just worried that this youngster may be in over his head trying to convince his friend that what he is doing is not right. Doesn't anybody wonder what is going to happen if he goes over to his "friend's" house and takes pictures of the horrible tank as he stated he was going to do earlier. Doesn't anyone see there could be some trouble possibly brewing here?

Just concerned!!
To late, we got an an argument of ethics and I got kicked out. He wouldn't give them (the fish) to me because he knew that I'd bring them to the LFS, and he said that he didn't want some "hulagin" having them, even though I know the owner, and he specificly makes sure that every andimal he sells has an owner that will take proper care of it. Although I did find him (my friend) with SEVEN!!! fedder goldfish in less then a gallon of TAP WATER, no conditioner added!!! One died before I got there, probably most if not all are dead by now, oh yah, the sunfish, green sunfish by the way, aren't big enough to eat the feeders, so he just buys them to watch them for a day, and then they die of clorine poisioning, a few times he put conditioner in, they servived for a little over a week. By the way, he's 12, but that doesn't matter, that kid needs to learn respect and ethics!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't think that kid should be able to have living things if he won't care for them. Although, I'm very interested with the debate, so let it follow it's course, go where it will, I want to hear both sides of the story, even though it's sad that this has to be a topic to "fight" about.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree Kathy. Are you thinking that he is walking into a bad/dangerous situation?

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You tried Matt!! Remember what I said earlier..... "You can not help someone else if they don't WANT or realize they need help". The world has many opinions. Some we agree with and some we don't. Just know that YOU did your best!! I don't think you are going to be able to change "your friend's" mentality.

I agree Kathy. Are you thinking that he is walking into a bad/dangerous situation?
I guess it is just the mothering instinct coming out l

Merged back to back posts
Ken

youngstermatt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought that it was worth a try, we've had stalmates like this before, but I don't recall you posting your oppinion on this topic Kathy, what is it? I'll be going to bed soon, morning comes early, but I'll check the thread in the morning, thanks for all opinions, it gives me something to think about, goodnight fishlore

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I agree with Treefork and Meenu. I think that there are underlying and deeper issues here with your friend and his parents. Matt, it depends on how involved you want to get. You may want to enlist the help of your parents. If your parents and his parents are friends they could ask his parents a few questions to get to the bottom of the whole thing. It is hard to call the shots when you don't know the WHOLE story!! There are pieces to the puzzle missing here and issues as Treefork mentioned.

But let me say this............ I am glad I am not an animal being taken care of by your friend. You stated that he is one of your many fishkeeping friends. Those fish should be able to be relocated to someone elses aquarium. Another friend or either the LFS. There are other roads to go down besides the route your friend is taking. His choice for this road is questionable. I think that the end destination all of us would hope for is that the fish be relocated. Why not be up front and say that you will take them and that you are going to take them to the LFS, or, you can hopefully find another one of your friends to take them. It sounds like this kid doesn't care what happens to the fish, so you can step in and relocate them for him. I think being up front with his parents about what your intentions are would be fine. Just be kind and helpful. But there is also the fact that you can not help some one else unless they WANT or realize they need help.
My dear Matt, you will find it under post # 21.

Sleep tight

youngstermatt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ha ha, you to. Sorry, with this many replies, it's hard to keep it all straight, good night, type to you in the morning, well, in MN it is morning, well later morning

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well everything this kid is doing goes back to the parents. they are ignorant and irresponsible, as will this kid be. if the parents don't teach him, who will? he's 12....not 20, he needs parental guidance.

matt, you tried your best.....you might just want to ignore this person's fishkeeping habits, you don't want to be kicked out anymore

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom