Is There An Aborial Snake Or Lizzard That Can For In A 20g Hex?

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by Kysarkel000, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

Hey all, I have recently received a 20g hex from a family member and I would like some ideas as to what I could put in it.

Since it is a taller tank, it'd be kind of cool to turn into a paludarium with the bottom half being water and then most of the top half being "land" with a little pond like opening in the forefront. Add some live plants, a fogger, tiny fish, maybe some little frogs or something. It'd look great! But is it practical? Idk

I'm sure there are other options too tho, and I'm open to them all. So throw them at me (please)!

Thanks!

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

That sounds awesome. I read somewhere that you should treat hex tanks as a regular tank only 1/2 its size for stocking purposes. So your 20 gallon hex becomes a 10 gallon standard tank. Mostly this is due to the reduced footprint and most fish like to have a lateral swim space.

A couple of firebelly toads might enjoy such a set up. They need secure lids because the little beggers will try and climb out.

3. OP
    OP
    Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

Oooh those are cool. Are these guys able to swim? I was thinking about dart frogs, but im worried they'd fall into the water part and drown. They're not good swimmers.

What other options do I have? Aborial snake or lizzard of some sort?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

They do swim. Mine spend as much time in the water as out. I have four of them in a 65 gallon set up.

5. Smuag

Smuag New Member Member

ribbon snake maybe?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice