Is there a wc hose that will fit on this faucet? Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Algae Eater, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Algae Eater

Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

I want to buy a water changing hose that connects to the faucet. The problem is, none of mine allow a hose to hook directly up to it. Here is a picture of the faucet I would probably use. (I'm assuming it's a standard size.) Is there a brand of water changing hose that can accomodate this kind of faucet? OR is there an adaptor I can buy? I'm really looking for somebody who has dealt with this themselves and can tell me the exact brand and model of the hose or adaptor they used, but any advise is helpful!

Also, do the water changing hoses require a deep sink?

Attached Files:

2. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Usually the water change hose kits have to adapters to fit from the Python to the faucet. You have to take the aerator from the faucet and put the adapter there and then hook up you python there. When you are done just take it off and put the aerator back again.
    here is a pic of the adapters letters e,f, and g.

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

If all else fails you may be able to screw your shower head(if you have one) off and attach the hose there.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

The aerator doesn't come off. If it's supposed to it must be stuck because it wont budge... Is there an adaptor that will fit over it?

I don't see a picture. :-\

I might be able to do that.

Thanks guys!

5. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

You can by "adaptors" at home depot etc. if your python doesn't match your tap. That's what I had to do to make mine fit and it works great :)

6. navyscuba

:oops: I forgot the attachment :;smack

7. Butterfly

You have to have threads for any adaptor to fit but I don't see any threads on that faucet:;dk
    Carol

8. navyscuba

Carol have to take the aerator off the faucet. The aerator is threaded into the faucet. The aerator is where the part that has a little screen mesh where the water comes out. On the pic that is attached on her post is the part that is stamped with some letters and numbers.

9. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

If you are able to get the aerator off the faucet then there will be an adapter to attach your python to the faucet. My python came with an adapter that fits but I also needed an adapter for another hobby I have. I didn't know what size my faucet is so I just bought 3 different sizes just in case and one of those worked. They were only about $1 a piece.

They sell different length pythons and even have extension hoses too so you can reach far sinks.

If you can't get it attached to the faucet then you could still fill the hose with water and get a manual siphon going and drain outside or in a tub or something. Then when you want to fill up your tank simply go to your laundry room. The hot/cold water lines for your washer should be usable. What you would need to do is purchase a "Y" connector that attaches to both the hot and cold water lines. The other end of the "Y" connector is a single line that you could run into the tank. The laundry lines should hopefully be standard garden hose size couplers. You could then run a garden hose to your tank or attach the python and run that to the tank.

10. Butterfly

I know, that's what I do with mine but he said it didn't come off(although I thought it had to come off )
    I use a water hose to siphon and refill my tanks and use a totally different adapter :)
    Carol

11. navyscuba

It maybe sealed with water build up cuz those come off. They are meant to take them off to clean the mesh of debris that build up from the water.

12. Butterfly

Maybe a pair of pliers with a cloth between the faucet and pliers would get it off without marring the finish on the faucet.
    carol

13. navyscuba

I use a piece of rubber material and a channel lock pliers when mine gets a bit stubborn and don't want to come off.

14. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

Well, I got a wrench and was able to get the aerator off! :;z I didn't know they were removable until navyscuba said so... :;smack So I will try to find one with threads on it, because I think then I can hook up a garden hose to the faucet without removing anything (that = no risk of losing small parts ;D). Or I'll get an adaptor for the faucet with the aerator removed and attach the hose that way if I can't find one...

Thanks for all your help everybody! It really helped a lot!

Off to Home Depot/Lowe's... here's hoping I don't come home with a new sink!!

15. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

One of my Home Depot's is in the same shopping center as my favorite LFS. lol

16. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

So is mine! So I might come home with a new sink and more fish. lol

17. navyscuba

Welcome. :sign0016:

18. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

Well, I am back from Lowe's! I got a hose and a couple of adapters. While I was looking, a salesperson asked me if I needed help and I told him what I was doing and he handed me an adapter and said that would work. Well, it didn't because it was too big but I had bought another type just in case and it works but it doesn't screw in, so I'm afraid it might pop out in the middle of a water change. I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it works, and eventually return the other adaptor for the right size.

BTW, they have really cheap vinyl (I think that's what it's made of...) tubing by the foot, including airline! I didn't know that and thought I would share.

19. navyscuba

Thanks I probably stop by to get some hose. >:D

20. Butterfly

They sure do. I replaced my siphon hose with a longer length and bought a smaller size vinyl hose to go on a small brush for cleaning the fry tank.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice